Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installed a 2010 jdm engine with original usdm heads and intake. It runs fine but still has error codes P0026 and P0028. Looking for the diagnostic flow chart and any other suggestions for clearing the codes.

Got this code clearing info from Foreign Engines of Lynnwood. Does this sound like sound advise.

Method number one.

1. Turn car off. 2. Disconnect positive battery cable. 3. Turn headlights on. 4. Touch positive cable to negative terminal.

Method number two.

Look under dash for two green connectors. If they are plugged in, disconnect them.

I looked under dash and did not see the two green connectors either plugged together or unplugged.

Edited by steve56

17 hours ago, steve56 said:

Installed a 2010 jdm engine with original usdm heads and intake. It runs fine but still has error codes P0026 and P0028. Looking for the diagnostic flow chart and any other suggestions for clearing the codes.

Got this code clearing info from Foreign Engines of Lynnwood. Does this sound like sound advise.

Method number one.

1. Turn car off. 2. Disconnect positive battery cable. 3. Turn headlights on. 4. Touch positive cable to negative terminal.

Method number two.

Look under dash for two green connectors. If they are plugged in, disconnect them.

I looked under dash and did not see the two green connectors either plugged together or unplugged.

#4 - ABSOLUTELY NOT!! NEVER do that.

disconnecting the battery and leaving it for at least 30 minutes (longer is better) will work just fine.

as for the green connectors under the dash - not sure 2010 even has those anymore, but if it does, they are probably wrapped up in tape to the harness under there & not easily visible.

The best way to clear codes is with an OBDII code reader. They can be found for under $50

Edited by heartless

to be clear, NO ONE is suggesting shorting the BATTERY terminals in any way. The idea is, disconnect one of the battery cables. Touch that CABLE'S end to the other battery cable's end.

yes, you should be cautious doing this as you will still be near the battery , possibly with long metallic tools around, but, it can be done safely.

7 hours ago, heartless said:

#4 - ABSOLUTELY NOT!! NEVER do that.

disconnecting the battery and leaving it for at least 30 minutes (longer is better) will work just fine.

as for the green connectors under the dash - not sure 2010 even has those anymore, but if it does, they are probably wrapped up in tape to the harness under there & not easily visible.

The best way to clear codes is with an OBDII code reader. They can be found for under $50

That's the problem. The codes are not clearing with my code reader.

3 hours ago, steve56 said:

That's the problem. The codes are not clearing with my code reader.

Autozone can clear the codes with theirs, or just disconnect the battery and switch the car on to discharge the system is what i do

if your reader is not able to clear them, then yeah, disconnect the battery - but NEVER touch the opposite terminal like that thing you found suggested. Unless of course you want to risk frying electronics or something.. :rolleyes: best way to discharge completely is to step on the brakes a couple of times. then leave it sit for a little while disconnected to make sure.

don't know who thought that would be a good idea, but they ought to be Gibb's Smacked for it.

• Haha 1

Update. My Subaru tech friend came over with the Subaru code reader. I had eight stored codes in my Actron meter, but the Subaru meter showed just one code. That was for the oil temp sensor. I had forgotten to swap that in to the head I was using. I have no idea why my Actron meter was showing eight unerasable codes.

The other procedure to erase the codes which I tried yesterday was what he called a cap discharge procedure. Thats with key out of ignition the positive and negative battery cables are clamped together for 5 minutes while holding down the brake pedal for 10 seconds. 

• Like 1