Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition cylinder replacement - Pro tip.

Hey all.  Thought I would share a new to me discovery about Subaru Ignition lock cylinder replacement.

I had a customer who's 04 Forester Ignition lock failed.  Seized up, wouldn't return to "off" position so was draining battery in ACC.

So, I call dealership, talk to them about ordering a new lock cylinder.  Now, I've done this I think 3 times in the past.  Always purchased a new cylinder and customers then just used 2 keys, 1 for doors, 1 for Ignition.  Not a big deal as all those cars had keyless entry, so they didn't really need the "door" key ever.

Now, for this Forester, the customer does not use keyless entry, and wanted all keys the same.

So I inquired from dealer this time, is there a kit available to replace all 3 lock cyls (Ig., Drivers door, glovebox) in the car with matching keys?

Well sure enough, AFTER I ASKED, they tell me "oh, yes, there is a whole car kit"  It's $60 dollars cheaper than just the Ig. cylinder.  DOH!  Why the HELL don't they volunteer that info!  

Anyhow here's the kit for a Manual trans, 04 Forester.  I imagine kits for other models are available too, but I haven't confirmed how many.

Comes with Master key (top), Sub-master (middle w/code tag) and Valet (does not operate glove box) 

48331240457_7cf22b61f8_k.jpgIMG_0101 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1