Ultimate Subaru Message Board

?? Correct way to disconnect Hill Holder ?? 92 Legacy

Pardon me if this is well archived but my searches seem to come up short.

Its my daily driver 1992 Front Wheel Drive Legacy

Willing to not have the feature anymore , or at least see how life is without it entirely. 

Please let me know what to do so there’s no engagement and no contact of the pads on the diagonal.

I think Galen or Russ mentioned that if it’s not dealt with properly you get those diagonal brakes constantly making contact and of course wearing out those pads faster than the other two. I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going on now. 

As of this moment I thought I had done “good enough” by disconnecting the holder spring by the drivers side. 

Pretty soon I should have time for stuff like this but I’m off the rails lately and my lack of sleep is really consuming me. So pardon me if I don’t do more before coming to you nice folks. Cheers! 

On 7/27/2019 at 12:43 PM, moosens said:

As of this moment I thought I had done “good enough” by disconnecting the holder spring by the drivers side. 

Remove the cable.

Removing the spring keeps it from retracting open.  might have it set on all the time car is pointed uphill.

5 minutes ago, lmdew said:

From what I remember there is a cam on the MC that is pulled way from the fender when the clutch is pushed in.  There should be a spring on the MC that pulls it back open.

it's below the master Cylinder.  It's a separate unit.

on a 97 it should be replacable completely by just a double female 90 degree bend M10 connector.  Older models that controlled 2 wheels require a 3 way "T" female connector.  

Edited by FerGloyale