Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Outback H6

Taking a little road trip to the hill country next month.

I rotated tires today. Took the opportunity to inspect around and try to get a little lube in the sway bar bushings - hoping to help an occasional 'groaning sound' from the rear when maneuvering/bouncing the car.

some good news, some bad;

tires evenly worn

Centric PQ ceramic brake pads really last! So do OEM rotors.

rear diff mount bushings look good, rear axle boots and everything back there actually looks OK to good. One or 2 suspension arm bushings look 'off-center/worn'. One of those could be source of noise I guess? No movement on rear wheel bearing up-down - side to side rocking test. No oil on top of (replaced, not original) struts.

some wetness on the charcoal box ? - and, now I think, there may have been some wetness under the car from around there - will investigate further if it smells like fuel - haven't noticed that and it seems it would be quite strong in the garage if even a little gas were there???

Both sides of the front have about 2-3mm of 3-9 o'clock movement at the wheels(tires on) - appears to be inner tire rods. No apparent problems felt inside or tire wear but, I will put that on the 'to-do' list for this fall or more likely next spring. One front bearing test moved about 1mm up-down. I may let that wait...can't decide. If I diy that, everything I've read leads me to believe I should tackle it one of 2 ways - on the car with some 'hub tamer' type of device, or take the knuckle to a dealer/shop. thoughts?

Still looks like the oil cooler adapter is weeping, not enough to spot the ground yet....I have read mixed reviews on success at swapping that seal so, I'm gonna wait.

a front outer axle boot is ripped so, need to deal with that. I THINK I have an OEM spare axle, if not, I'll try to find a used one, reboot the inner and swap. No clicking yet so, I'm gonna let it wait too.Since it's the outer, an interesting experiment might be to try knocking the Rzeppa joint off and installing a new aftermarket one on my OEM axle...might do that and hold the axle in reserve for the other side or ??? for the money/hassle, used entire half-axle is still probably better.

glanced at resevoirs and checked the oil. likely do that again before the trip.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Those 00-04 rear upper bushings commonly wear, seize, and squeak.  Just annoying and can sometimes impact alignment.  Replace the entire set of bolt, washer, etc hardware. People have listed the parts needed online. Maybe Texas is different but they all need cut or torched off up here.

Check the tie rods directly for play.  Push pull pry. Seems to me it’s usually the inners.  Check boot condition.  They often can last forever and be reused if you wish or just replace it.  I use Subaru parts and count turns to retain alignment.  You can also pull a string and make sure the measurements to the wheel are the same before and after. Just did an at home toe alignment this morning in 30 minutes.  

Is it possible the wheel bearing play and tie rod play could be the same thing or hard to differentiate?

i have a wheel bearing set and press them out and in with that using an air compressor/impact.  Never done it by hand but looks atrocious. 

which one usually groans? the upper one with the cam/adjust bolt or the lower on that hits the bump stop? are those called lateral links???

cutting/torching? yikes. maybe time to try WindoWeld ?

probably just need to try to bounce the car with some tubing in my ear lol!

really, it isn't all that annoying as you said - doesn't seem to affect tire wear yet, but I know it isn't 'right' either. fingers crossed it was the sway bar bushing!

I have an electric impact. Got when I was trying to do the sspring compressors by hand - shoulda had one for 40 years if only to zap-off lug nuts.

pretty sure about the bearing movement on one side and the inner tie rods bi-laterally.