Ultimate Subaru Message Board

73k. They claim it shifts fine. They sent me pics of the original upholstery, which seem to be perfect. No dash cracks that I can see.

https://jspecauto.com/en/subaru/complete-cars/1675/1994-subaru-alcyone-svx-230hp-concept-rhd-sport-coupe/

This should have the VTD center diff, so it is supposedly a better driver. IDK what driving an RHD car is like.

Somebody should anyhow. I'm deciding if it's worth the plane ticket to go see.

Edited by uniberp1

Might be worth it to someone. But I can't imagine spending $10k for an SVX. Yes, VTD is awesome (I have an Outback VDC with it. Completely transforms the winter performance) but it's just a really nice SVX that you can't go through the drive-thru with.

Give me something we didn't get here. An ST205 GT4, or a Eunos Cosmo...

20 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Might be worth it to someone. But I can't imagine spending $10k for an SVX. Yes, VTD is awesome (I have an Outback VDC with it. Completely transforms the winter performance) but it's just a really nice SVX that you can't go through the drive-thru with.

Give me something we didn't get here. An ST205 GT4, or a Eunos Cosmo...

Yah thanks. I just want something a little heavier and smoother for my commute in Michigan (meaning snow). And I like weirdo GT's like my old P1800.
And I know Subarus, kinda. And I don't want to deal with CANbus, if that's what they are using now.

SVXnet seems to show the enthusiasm is fading. There is one user there who seemed to try to make a business building bulletproof transmissions, but IDK if he did.
If I find an SVX for super cheap it might be worth it., even with a $3k tranny.

They talk about the VTD "center diff". Isn't that really the tailshaft housing?

" Giugaro" used to mean something, for God's sake. Just kidding. So did "Ghia". Not really.

Yes the original Cosmo is very pretty.

14 minutes ago, uniberp1 said:

Yah thanks. I just want something a little heavier and smoother for my commute in Michigan (meaning snow). And I like weirdo GT's like my old P1800.
And I know Subarus, kinda. And I don't want to deal with CANbus, if that's what they are using now.

SVXnet seems to show the enthusiasm is fading. There is one user there who seemed to try to make a business building bulletproof transmissions, but IDK if he did.
If I find an SVX for super cheap it might be worth it., even with a $3k tranny.

They talk about the VTD "center diff". Isn't that really the tailshaft housing?

" Giugaro" used to mean something, for God's sake. Just kidding. So did "Ghia". Not really.

Yes the original Cosmo is very pretty.

That's fine, so buy an SVX. Don't pay a premium to import a pristine one just to drag it through the midwest winter road grime.

I don't think the enthusiasm is fading, in general, but it's like many auto forums and shifting to Facebook. This is the only exception of the forums I frequent (because the Venn diagram of users of USMB and people who don't have Facebook has quite a bit of overlap) that hasn't seen a major reduction in activity. Anyway, there are lots of people that own them, but most swap for 4.444 transmissions, or manual. The '96-'97 transmissions hold up better, but they're pretty rare by then.

Still can't get a new TPS for them. WTB: TPS posts on the SVX Facebook groups are almost weekly.

Center and front diffs on Subarus are built into the transmission. Most 4EATs just have clutch packs, not a true differential. But MTs and VTDs do actually have a differential. The VTD is similar in function to the STi DCCD center diff, where it's mechanically an open diff, with an electronically-actuated LSD.

Yeah look for one and buy it.  I’ve seen two decent ones for sale in the last year within 1-2 hours from me and I’m not looking for them. Though one was prices extravagantly, like $7,500 or something.  Look south and west for rust free anomalies haha.  They are good commuting and long trip cars....if you don’t have tons of gear, kids, etc. 

Some of the “low mileage” older Subaru’s I’ve gotten or been around seem to have quite a few oddball failures - unexpected plastic cracking, seizing cables (throttle, speedo, brake, heater), more electrical issues with components that typically have low failure rates..etc. I feel like sitting around doesn’t help things unless it’s a really nice controlled environment and consistent “sitting” around.   Don’t get me wrong those are minor issues and I can fix anything but rust. And I’m all about considering them still, but for a decent daily driver I’m not feigning over those low mileage spectaculars either.  Find a nice one, drive it and when you’re then madly in love plan ahead for your next garage queen!

Edited by idosubaru