Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Takata airbag recall requires passenger seat remove?

Was just looking around and noticed that bolts that fix the passanger seat frame in the rear to the body don't look same as on the driver seat.

First, plastic covers are gone, second - one of the screws is missing...??? I have never touched that myself

But I had Takata airbag recall done couple of weeks ago, is that related??? As in - "... they just rushed to push the car out and forgot to put some parts back?"

I also had 120K maintenance done, but I don't see anything done there that would touch the front passenger seat??

-Michael

740gle,

Go back to the dealership and demand that they put things right. Both front seats use the same fasteners and the same plastic covers over them (only the reverse of each other as per different sides of the car).

I think you'll find that the technician was interrupted during his service for your car and just never got around to checking his work. Regardless, this is not right. Get it fixed!

Interesting.  I know my son does all the airbag recalls at the dealership he works at and never removes the passenger seat.  It may have been someone who needed to get better access due to mobility or physical limitations.  Definitely take the car back and ask them to make it right.

1 hour ago, gbhrps said:

740gle,

Go back to the dealership and demand that they put things right. Both front seats use the same fasteners and the same plastic covers over them (only the reverse of each other as per different sides of the car).

I think you'll find that the technician was interrupted during his service for your car and just never got around to checking his work. Regardless, this is not right. Get it fixed!

So, it is necessary to take the front passenger seat off to replace the airbags? It's 2014 Legacy 2.4i.

Went to the dealership today. Yes, they confirmed seat does not need to be touched for Takata airbag replacement, they only take the dash out. The funniest thing is that the only one screw, is apparently how it is designed. Yes, there is a hole, but there is no thread under it. Only the rail that is close to the center is has the screw, the other one doesn't.

They showed me on other Legacy  they had on the lot.