Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alas my poor Brat!

i've been working on my brat now for a month. It's seen better days, but I thought I could fix it. Now I have water in the oil. I have a Chilton Repair Manual

So I have some help. But my question is where is the water getting in from? So far I've drained the oil/water from the oil pan, and i noticed that water was leaking out of a valve cover. I have a spare engine but it needs to be rebuilt too. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Please let me know I really what this brat running.

Sounds like a head gasket, or a freeze plug to me. Head gaskets aren't that hard..... maybe a 7 on the 1-10 scale. They are cheap enough (less than $20 each). Most of it is labor. You'll need a torque wrench to properly install them, but that's the only special tool really. Your manual should have a decent run down of the procedure. Make sure the heads aren't warped when you pull them off. If they are tho, you can have them milled flat again for about $35 each.

GD

Head gasket sounds about right but you may have to get your heads milled off if there is any pitting.Do you run it on anti freeze .If you dont you shout as this helps to stop head corosion.Plain water is not a good idea for alloy heads.