Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 loyal 5speed mt 4wd wont work...

hello just got this car is there a bypass i can do to get the 4wd to work the wiring was eaten by rats on driver side firewall the 2 black an 2 white wires found a vacuum hose was chewed as well is there a way to lock it in 4wd an bypass the push button.... thank you all

You could rig up a cable to the actuator arm on the RHS of the gearbox, near the rear end. 

Best thing to do would just repair the damaged wiring and replace thechewed vacuum hoses. Much easier than rigging up a new system that may or may not work. 

Cheers 

Bennie

7 hours ago, Mobbit said:

thank you what are the 2 vacuum solenoids. called looking for them at parts store.

These are the items that have some wires and vacuum hoses going to/from them. There’s two of them mounted side by side, black cylindrical looking things. 

The solenoids rarely fail. Repair the wiring and vac lines and the 4wd system *should* begin to wor again. 

Take some pics of the rear of the driver’s strut tower andpost them here. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

x2 on fix the wires. i broke a nipple off the 4wd disengage solenoid and ended up swapping in a 5spd DR because the only vacuum solenoid I could find was over $400 used on epay.

you could switch 4wd on and off with a vacuum source I did it for a wile but no fun to stop and pop hood to shift... could have run lines in to the cab but good excuse to swap in a dual range

Grab a front diff actuator solenoid set from a Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun. You should be able to pick these up on eBay for about $22 from memory. 

OEM Mitsubishi part number MR430381 

The subi unit looks like two of the solenoid on the left in this link: 

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mitsubishi-MR430381-Freewheel-Solenoid/dp/B0773WB58D#immersive-view_1574667952144 

Might need two of these to replace the two factory Subi units. 

Cheers 

Bennie