Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I picked up a 2005 Forester with 250K on the clock and I'm doing some digging around and found this leak. It runs great and I am in the process of going through the car.

At first glance I assumed the worst but not I think it might just be a botched cam seal. It looks like some one may have installed a generic timing belt kit about 9 moths ago (Sticker on air box) and the seal either got missed or installed improperly. I'm new to these engines so any input is welcome.

In the attached photos you can see the head and where I sprayed some de-greaser.

Thoughts?

Resized_20191230_143428.jpeg

first squirt degreaser.jpeg

bottom pas side cam or head.jpeg

back pass side goopy.jpeg

Edited by 4Flats

1 hour ago, 4Flats said:

How is oil getting out without cross contaminant?

In this picture of the head gasket, the two wide openings at the bottom are for oil drain back from the head to the crankcase. The oval holes are for coolant. It is possible for just oil to leak out along the bottom edge if the gasket no longer has a good seal.

Head gasket.jpg

Start here https://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/  and get the Factory Service Manual. It has a lot of info that you will need.

Also, if you go back to previous pages in this forum you will find lots of discussions about head gaskets, timing kits and everything else, not that long ago. Try the Search at the upper right. That is how I started years ago. Google led me to this forum. I joined and donated so I can try to give back some help if I can.

Thanks for the info! I'm glad I found this site. Several other Subaru forums out there are out there with little or no info.

I want to solve this transmission issue, then I'll dive into the head gaskets. 

Edited by 4Flats

GD has the multi layer steel head gasket part numbers etched in his brain. These will be the items you want to use for the replacement headgaskets. 

I’m in the middle of the same thing now. Picked up a $300 SG Foz with 370,000km on the clock, engine leaking oil like a sieve and a rear strut that wasn’t happy at all. 

Should be a good car once the work is done. It’ll be the same with yours. 

I also opted to swap valve stem seals and lap the valves. I’m hesitant to swap rings on an engine that isn’t mine since it would be the first time I’ve done it and I’m not completely up on that process of ring gaps etc. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Side question - why does your NA EJ25 have an oil cooler? I thought these were turbo and H6 models only? 

And thanks for the link GD. I found the darker writing a little difficult to read but it reads well! I too made the mistake of using the VIN listed HGs on my sister’s Gen3 and it ended exactly as you say I does. That engine copped a 100,000km head gasket swap to the 642 units, it also had all the usual maintenance items done too. 

You don’t mention replacing rings while the HGs are being done, not always done?

Cheers 

Bennie

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

Side question - why does your NA EJ25 have an oil cooler? I thought these were turbo and H6 models only? 

And thanks for the link GD. I found the darker writing a little difficult to read but it reads well! I too made the mistake of using the VIN listed HGs on my sister’s Gen3 and it ended exactly as you say I does. That engine copped a 100,000km head gasket swap to the 642 units, it also had all the usual maintenance items done too. 

You don’t mention replacing rings while the HGs are being done, not always done?

Cheers 

Bennie

Que?

On 12/31/2019 at 4:03 PM, 4Flats said:

first squirt degreaser.jpeg

That above your oil filter with the pipe coming from it is an oil cooler. The pipes have coolant in them. 

I’ve only ever seen them on H4 turbos or the H6 NA. I’ve not seen them on H4 NAs before - unless this is a turbo equipped vehicle. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo

22 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Bennie

We can. But most of those are getting too old and people don't want to spend the money. A new OEM PCV valve usually does enough for oil consumption that it's manageable. New rings are the best for ultimate longevity though. 

GD 

• Like 1