Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Pistons/Connecting Rods

Just traded for a old 83 Subaru that wasnt starting. Pulled the engine and did a year down to find out that a connecting rod exploded (person who rebuilt the engine didn't put rod bearings) luckily everything else looks good. I am having issues finding replacement pistons and rods though. I heard the ea71 pistons would work and so would the ea82s but I can't find those either. Engine is N/A and will probably stay N/A also any links to performance parts while I have this thing taken apart would be cool too.

Google EJ22. Best performance part for these vehicles! 

Best of luck finding those parts. By the time you’ve found and paid for them you could have an EJ22 conversion done easy! 

It’s the best way to deal with NLA parts - upgrade to a newer engine ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Performance ? Out of these things?

:):)

i must have some rods but am in Australia

Start a new thread with title to suggest want EA conrods posted to .....insert state.....

Pistons turn up on eBay.com in USA or UK from time to time....which is where I get them from time to time

Got some EA71 for an EA82 build one day - flat tops oh yeah ( there goes the free spinner :( )

I gave heard a Weber 32/36 set up well can be as good as putting twin carbs on

15 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Performance ? Out of these things?

:):)

i must have some rods but am in Australia

Start a new thread with title to suggest want EA conrods posted to .....insert state.....

Pistons turn up on eBay.com in USA or UK from time to time....which is where I get them from time to time

Got some EA71 for an EA82 build one day - flat tops oh yeah ( there goes the free spinner :( )

I gave heard a Weber 32/36 set up well can be as good as putting twin carbs on

Well ultimately I just need one connecting rod to get her going again. I got a lead on pistons for a decent price but the local machine shop want an arm and a leg just for a single rod (~$400 usd). Unfortunately I need to get her running within the month or else I would go for the swap but due to location (interior Alaska) finding anything is almost impossible our junk yards won't even sell parts off of most cars if it has potential to run.

Hey mate, just did a parcel quote via interparcel dot com

Australia to Fairbanks AK zip ending in 01 out of about five optional codes

Cheapest about A$35

Next one, carrier is your UPS A$49

I should look at expected shipping time eh?

I used one kilo which could be two rods if I used styrofoam and tape. Or one and cardboard boxing and some fat allowance

Think I sized dimensions as 200*100*50 mm

Must have two more rods down in the shed if I can see

Edited by Steptoe

Was it Ivansimports member here claiming EJ20 pistons fit EA engines at a better power-up?

Though when queried, he had not actually done it himself.

Someone revealed EJ piston crowns sitting in an EA82 they pulled heads off

I think the EA con rod little end bushes need replacing with a bush that allows for EJ size gudgeon pin

Edited by Steptoe