Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto XT6 center to MT5

6 hours ago, GLCraig said:

Everything is completely different between the manual and automatic transmission. 

For the low range with manual transmissions, Subaru added the gear reduction to the input shaft of the transmission.   

I just talking about the rear diff. They both seem to be on the trail shaft housing. I am just wondering if the auto pinion is the same as the manual.

I'm really not clear what you're asking.

The center diff (on the rear of the transmission) has nothing to do with low range. And is COMPLETELY different between an auto and manual. In just about every single detail.

You could put a dual-range 5MT into an XT6, but you can't put MT internals into an AT.

2 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

I'm talking about AWD. I have a dual range 4WD 5speed. The AWD pinion shaft is longer than the 4WD. Just didn't know if the AT pinion/center is the same as the MT. 

The front diff pinion shaft in a manual transmission AWD (EJ) transmission is considerably shorter than a FT4WD one (on a PT4WD the pinion shaft is one piece with the output shaft).

But, I refer to what I said earlier

4 hours ago, Numbchux said:

but you can't put MT internals into an AT.

16 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

I'm talking about AWD. I have a dual range 4WD 5speed. The AWD pinion shaft is longer than the 4WD. Just didn't know if the AT pinion/center is the same as the MT. 

With the XT6 automatic transmission and the rest of the 4EAT transmissions, there is one shaft that runs from planetary gears in the front of the transmission to a pinion gear, near the back end of the transmission.   That pinion gear drives two things.  1. The pinion shaft and gear for the front differential.  2.  The rear output clutch pack. The 4EAT transmissions do not have a center differential.  They use clutch pack that is modulated by a computer, to send power to the rear differential.  

The Main shaft of a 4wd 5-speed which includes the pinion gears for the front differential, and the transfer case.  The Main shaft also includes the accommodations needed for the forward gears, reverse gear, the 1st-2nd gear syncro, and the speedometer drive gear.  The 4wd is engaged by syncro that is attached to the output shaft of the transmission.  

So the parts from the automatic transmission cannot be added to manual transmission for make it AWD.