Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parts swapping between a 83 wagon and a 91 Brat

9 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Hey Rafa, my EJ conversion is in my L series, not my Brumby/brat/MV. But it can be done. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Jajaja!!!

Thanks Bennie!

Yes, I think it will be easier to adapt the L Series gearbox mount to the MV. I am a bit concerned because I see the Motor/Transmission assembly will fit, but it´s tight and a little leaned backwards. I will try it this way... if it doesn´t work I may have to modify the tunnel or the steering crossmember, a major change I would like to avoid.

Any advice would be thanked

Saludos!

Rafa

Edited by Rafavidmess
Bad written word

• 1 month later...

Hi Again!

Now working in the wiring of the EJ Engine that´s "Mechanically" Installed in my MV.

Chilton´s Wiring diagrams and (Specially) @Numbchux writeup have been very Helpfull. Still some questions Arise:

- I got a second box, about the Size of the ECU with an ED Sign on it. Is this related to The Auto Trany.. or maybe the adjustable suspension? Can I remove all this wiring? 

- Is there anything special I have to be avare of, given my donor is automatic and I am not using that gearbox?

- Does anyone has a picture of an already Trimmed Wiring, just to know how it should look like?

Thanks in advance

Saludos!

I doubt a photo of the cut down wiring will help you I’m sorry. It’s too hard to tell what’s cut out and what was kept. 

The way I’ve done it is to tape the wiring together from plug I know are from the engine and sensors etc. Do this all the way to the ECU, leaving out the wires that are not associated with the engine plugs. 

You will have wiring intertwined so do your tracing carefully! And you’ll find many wire joints where it splits off to other plugs such as the TCU or cruise etc. Work out what they go to and make a decision as to whether you need them or not. If cut, curl the end and seal with some shrink tube ;)

If there are wires not taped together coming from the ECU trace them, tape with different coloured tape and find out what the pins do. 

You’re looking for:
- check engine light (earth switched, needs power on the other side of the globe once it’s fitted)
- power wires - there’s a few of these. Permanent, back up, ignition from memory
- fuel pump relay and associated wiring. And the fuel pump wire too (black with red trace/stripe from memory
- vehicle speed sensor 
- AC reference and control wires 
- thermo fan relay wire(s) 

I recall something about grounding a wire to tell the ECU it’s a manual, it’ll be in the wiring diagram somewhere. From memory you’ll need to add this wire into the plug to the ECU. 

It can be best to lay your wiring out in the vehicle before taping the whole loom. Do a test fire to ensure the engine starts and runs as it should. Check for any engine codes. When it all checks out as good, tape the wiring fully how ever you like to do it. 

Put it all back together and enjoy the drive! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thank you Bennie!

I started working selecting the plugs I am sure I will not use and trace the wires (once at a time) until thy split or get into a plug. I followed the advice of @Numbchux write up. Nevertheless I managed to get lost and not knowing the use of some of the plugs…so I will apply your method.

Chiltons wiring diagrams cover just engine control. I am having some trouble finding the necessary plugs and wires with the signals that I need (Check engine, tachometer, etc). Also I suppose I need to keep a Lluc for the diagnostic tool. Any complete wiring diagram for a 1990 2.2 Legacy wold be hugely thanked.

saludos!

Rafa

Hello to all,

Tonight I layed the trimmed wiring in my brat.

Have done the connections of Grounds and "powers".

The ignition relay is actuated by a switched positive, a Light green Cable.

As adviced, I connected it to a Switched + (ON from the ignitio switch). I noticed that this cable on the other side enters the ECU on the F47 (5) pin. It´s marked as self Shut of Control and should have Voltage when in On.

¿Should I also power this pin on the ECU?

Thank in advance!!!

Saludos!

Rafa