Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey y’all. I’ve swapped a Lower mileage EJ22 into my 97 MT legacy wagon after my original bit the dust. The donor motor was from a Legacy sedan AT. I put the motor in with the harness and intake from the donor and seem to have spark compression and fuel (I’m a mechanic at a performance shop so Im familiar with working on cars and their motors). At first she started and had a misfire coming from cylinder number one so I replaced the plugs, dizzy, and wires. The misfire continued. Replaced injectors and she ran perfect. Then I installed her radiator and fans and she wouldn’t turn. Replaced the battery with a new one and still didn’t want to start. She’ll crank and crank all day with what sounds like perfect compression but won’t run. I’ve managed to get her running randomly once and was able to get her five miles home before she died in my parking lot. I’m out of ideas. Can anyone help? Maybe the harness being from an automatic is throwing it off?

17 minutes ago, ocei77 said:

Check the timing and that crank and cam sensors are connected.

O.

And secured properly. I had the cam sensor “walk” out of its slot because the retainer but was loose - engine stalled and wouldn’t start until the cam was pushed back in and secured. 

With Subarus it’s always a good idea to fit the long block from the donor vehicle with the intake from the recipient vehicle. Swap over cam timing gear if needed - but probably not an issue in your case. 

Check the timing belt, you could have a collapsed bearing on one of the idler pulleys, this will throw out the timing, and make it very difficult if not impossible to start. 

Cheers 

Bennie