Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear coils Q's

people are using them like coil over shocks in addition to the stock suspension. this only works on the rear and will limit the droop of the rear suspension but it will give you some lift.

if you are really looking for lift I would go with a ready made lift kit. they are actually verry reasonably priced in conparison to some truck lifts.

people are using them like coil over shocks in addition to the stock suspension. this only works on the rear and will limit the droop of the rear suspension but it will give you some lift.

if you are really looking for lift I would go with a ready made lift kit. they are actually verry reasonably priced in conparison to some truck lifts.

VERY resionably priced! I was jus talking to a guy on base the other day. He has a Geo Tracker with 6" lift. He was talking about how CHEAP this Tracker is and how CHEAP stuff for it was. So I asked how much it was to get a 1990 or 91 Tracker and he said about $1500 then I asked how much the lift kit was and he said that was $1000 right there. I KNOW how much his tires were... they were 32" by 11" or 12" TSL Super Swampers which are over $130 each new. So we are talking about $3000 for a tracker, lift and tires. This was not including the custom work he had done also.

Sounds like that 'cheap' Tracker really adds up in the end! But comparing to what he spent on his 'real lifted rig at home' I'm sure he thinks it really is cheap :)

Ozified BYB lift is definatly a good bang for your bucks!

my idea of adding an ea82 spring to an ea81 car, is to help it out with weight capacity. like if you have it loaded down, or pull a trailer.

i pulled a 2 axle trailer with a car, the soob was not in thebest shape for it(no brakes, incomplete project) but the coiloves had no trouble with tongue weight(compared to stock and a tow dolly)

are you talking about an ozifield or byb lift kits? if you are those are prerty much more of a body lift from what i can see im looking to get as much clearence between my diffs and the huge rock the the middle of the trail..

are you talking about an ozifield or byb lift kits? if you are those are prerty much more of a body lift from what i can see im looking to get as much clearence between my diffs and the huge rock the the middle of the trail..

I wont touch the body lift issue. its just a lift. not suspension not body. those terms apply to vehicles with frames. I have gotten myself into many a discussion as to what is what.

check the other thread on lifts thats rollin right now.

there are lots of lifts out there it seems and evin more drama about what is better for what reason.

your car has lots of clearance in the rear compared to many of the new suv type kritters that are on the market now. increasing it could lead to camber/CV joint issues.

There sure are a lot of misconceptions about the rear EA82 coil-overs on an EA81.

this only works on the rear and will limit the droop of the rear suspension but it will give you some lift.
No - the droop of the rear suspension is enough to pull the axles out of their joints.... that enough droop for you? I was going to make limiting straps till I discovered the EA82 axle joint mod.

It doesn't really make it much stiffer either - since the torsion bar is unloaded, the vehicle weight is supported entirely by the coil. And with bigger tires that have more offset, you need a stiffer suspension to counteract the added leverage they have.

I also have over 15" under my rear diff - something the PK lifts can't even come close to on a wagon (Brat's are different).

And I'll keep saying this - as someone who has run off-camber in the rear for quite some time now, it really isn't that bad. The tires don't turn like in the front, so the camber doesn't really affect it all that much. The slight difference in wear can easily be dealt with by simply turning the tires over when you do a rotation. Cranking your front struts up that extra 1" will wear the tires 1000% faster than a coil-over in the rear will. I flattened my camber because I keep breaking axle from over-extension (because of all that droop I have).

GD

ok so with the unibody cars a lift is just a lift, to help the droop i have read the ea82 cv joint thread on ea81 axles, so should i do coil overs/ ea82 joints and the pk davis lift??? and of course bigger tires

No - the droop of the rear suspension is enough to pull the axles out of their joints.... that enough droop for you? I was going to make limiting straps till I discovered the EA82 axle joint mod.

that shure sounds like its limited (or should be) to me.

I have not done the mod myself so GD has far more experience with it of course.

I was refering to what you could be damaging such as the CV shaft that you agree is a problem. axles pulling out of the joints does not sound like a verry solid set up to me. But I guess you have a fix for that GD?

Yep - EA82 axle joints (deeper), and a 1" body lift to correct the camber, and help the angle of the axles.

This is only the rear, you still need a body lift in the front. But that's just 10 peices of sqaure tube, extend the steering linkage (there's a couple ways), and the strut towers. Really not that hard to build. All you really need is a chop-saw, a die grinder and a drill. And of course some time.

Just get your car up in the air, and start experimenting. THEN ask questions here. If you aren't willing to do that, then buy a PK lift. They are good for people that don't want to do all this fiddling. My wagon isn't even staying at the height it is now - I'm going MUCH higher with a transfer case, and completely custom front and rear suspension. The experimentation never stops. If you just want to play around I say stick with the PK stuff.

GD

I've been contemplating new shocks and struts for the brat.. I'm interested in putting EA82 rear coilovers on the back of my brat as well, and I'd perhaps be interested in using the honda accord front springs at that time for convenience.

But it seems also that it might be too hard on the axles? what if I had the honda springs cut an inch or two? that would negate some of the lift problem but give more support in the rear too? I'm planning to add EA82 rear trailing arms and an XT6 sway bar later too.