Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TV bearing noises, distinctly individual??

I have never had or heard  bad bearing in the EA82 timing belt Dept. Never!

So now, I was suspecting reco alternator bearing noise, or Chinese made water pump...but removed the accessory drive belt and noise is still present

Noise as usual sounds like it is travelling into the block making it sound like it is coming from everywhere like oil lacking HVLA :(

is more dizzy side bias to sound so suspecting it is the idler that uses M10 bolt into the block for perfect sound sharing..

Lucky that like every EA82 enthusiast I have a prepaid TB kit at the ready, can't hurt to do it early at 60,000 km

anyone know distinct bearing noises for each of the three??

Took radiator out, draining it with a little 12v pump via the cap and a pick up hose ( needed priming backwards)

The start of a no mess timing kit install

I was right, figured a different sound comes from the idler bearing being direct mount to the block by M10 bolt.

Was thinking sound may be more direct, easier to discern it's location if it was a tensioner bearing gone, sort of hanging off a bracket

Dave was correct in assuming I run bug covers on my belts

Wasn't until I had the NACHI 6203NSE JAPAN bearing free of the belt. Eight big fat balls , dry and catching as I play with it.

Looked pretty clean, no rust, no excessive amounts of grease.

I would feel better if I used a reverse direction torque wrench to get precise tension on belts, but been doing a few of these by calculated feel over the years.

I am impressed with the Brother brand of laminated labels I used on the cam pulley for photos for reminder aid photos

All those revolutions , heat etc, label stuck. Should have known as label on oil pressure gauge sender stays put also :)

i didn't do the fit one, rotate once , fit the other either, just followed my marks and memory.

Started up, sounds sweet !!

Will checking timing when back can bend again....

Glad I keep up using rubber washers to preserve TB cover brass thread inserts :)

i tell you what, this noise only started less than 80 km ago, and from the feel of it, wouldn't want to push my luck driving much further.

Probably giving Bennie Elfreddo flashback nightmares, think idler bearing fail the belt fail was what sent him EJing

IMG_20200604_135325.jpg

Edited by Step-a-toe

Nah, the constant tick of death and the lack of power lent me towards the EJ. Plus I was over oil leaks. 

I’ve had my own cam belt issues with the EJ:

pc230421rs.jpg 

Totally self inflicted though: 

pb010091rs.jpg

^ EJ still running. It did well over 1000km before that cogged idler bearing let go on the way to work one morning. I was able to limp it home and replace the cam belt kit etc. 

I’m still running that engine. It’s copped a flogging in many situations since being in my L series. 

Any-who, back on the topic of EA82 awwsomeness! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo
EA82 tick of death video
  • Like 2

New belts , again, cannot but think new belts are like a tune up, bringing valve timing back to spec. Feels just that much sharper

Still not checked timing but suspect it has advanced a smidge as I seem to be activating the knock circuit easier and higher on the monitor display.

The kit was an ITM . The tensioners rollers are a turned item rather than pressed into shape. Korean bearings by NTN

ITM proud enough to include their name on the belts

• Like 1