Ultimate Subaru Message Board

During COVID I haven't been paying enough attention to my Subie I guess. When I started up today after changing the sway bar end links, the oil light didn't turn off. So I immediately shut down and found out that it was 2 quarts low. That's bad, but not bad enough to trigger an oil light until just now. So anyway, I immediately topped it all the way up to the full line on the dipstick, and now the oil light won't go off.

What is likely the culprit, and how should I diagnose it?

The oil pressure sender on top of the block (behind alternator) can go wrong. They faul and eventually fail, but usually the other way around, not showing a light at all. By shorting the connector to the block the light should go on. It could be that there is a short in the sender. Unplug the single wire cable from the sender, and see if the light goes out. Then short it on the block somewhere else and see if the light goes on again. This is a cheap part to start with to change.