Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump control unit '83 GL

Attempting to diagnose my distributor module issue.

Already disconnected tach, which didn't help.

Want to disconnect pump control from coil to see if it's affecting dist. module. 

Thinking it's got couple? safety functions, wanting to leave other(s) working.

Hoping somebody's got function info.

I think it has only one function - to only supply power and maybe also earth to the fuel pump once engine is running.

And as you know, relies on a signal from the coil to control stuff. I don't know if it has a momentary prime on initial ignition switch on as fuel injection and propane safeguards have.

Think I have seen the safety box has six wires. I use propane safety control units that are just four wire, or even just 3 when mounting bracket is the earth connection

• Like 1

It does have two functions. It also powers the choke. The FPCU uses the same tach signal as the tach. Negative coil wire. It's looking for the falling edge of the same signal that triggers the coil from the distributor module. 

What is your "distributor module issue"? 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwayne Oxford said:

At high speed, 65-70, it breaks down. Tach sometimes jumps up, most times down and fire is lost. Can drop speed to 45-50 and it does better, still glitches a little. Disconnected tach wire from cluster, did OK one trip, then began same again.

Your distributor shaft bushings are shot. Has nothing to do with the module. 

GD

• Like 2

83 should not have a ballast resistor. Put the car back to stock the way you found it with the correct parts. It was not designed to have a resistor dropping the voltage while running. You have caused this failure by attempting to modify the ignition system incorrectly.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Yeah but is that a whole unit or a price for service? And the web site is copyright 2004 so I don't believe anything on it. They do good work though. Small distributor shop - very old and cluttered. Staffed by grey beards. 

GD

I'll call them tomorrow. Hoping they'll just rebush one of mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx y'all!

Didn't realize how much the bushings were worn. Had .015" slop at top.

Got blessed to find a Cardone rebuild on Ebay for $120.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REMAN-OEM-DISTRIBUTOR-42987-8110-DR480-03-FITS-SUBARU-DL-GL-BRAT-31-810/274358924769?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Superoo's back out on big road.:D