Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's Free but is it any good? FREE OIL UPDATED 2-21 to 3-27

Noticed this ad: Shell Rotella gas truck/SUV full synthetic 5Qt L2 Free After Rebate at Pep Boys with in store pickup offer expires 2/20/21

LINK

Never needed synthetic before. My new to me 2019 2.5 OB drinks 0W-20 synthetic.

Probably not top shelf pour like Amsoil but the youtube reviews seem OK.

Thoughts?

Pep Boys Free Shell Rotella Gas Truck Motor Oil (5w30, 0w20, 5w20) After Rebate

Deal is back and valid Feb 21 to March 27

February 28, 2021, 
Edited by brus brother

29 minutes ago, heartless said:

Rotella is widely used in over the road trucks (diesel) so it cant be all that bad, lol - trucking companies cant afford to have down time due to crap oils

but, do they have the correct weight for your car? truck/SUV is likely going to be heavier weight

Yes 0W-20 is recommended and listed in the linked ad,. they also have 5W-20 and 5W-30 synthetics.

Limit is 2 offers (5 Qt jug or 5 Qts) per household. Guess I'll be stocking the bar.

Edited by brus brother

dont have a Pep Boys around me, so didn't bother to look at the ad, would do me no good. lol

but yeah, if they have the right weight, go for it.

I know oil can be a hot button topic, but my nickle's worth is this.. better to keep the oil level full, even with mediocre oil, than to let it run low.

the 90 Legacy i had some years ago leaked oil pretty badly when i got it (oil separator plate) so until we had the time to yank the motor and reseal it, i used the cheapest oil i could, just to keep it full. After getting the reseal done, it got better quality oil and it was changed regularly - no ill effects from the cheap stuff - at least not while i was driving it. ended up selling it to kid for parts about a year after I parked it.. he got it started and actually drove it home.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 3Pin said:

How many miles on the new to you 2019 outback?

8000 miles Subaru certified pre owned 1.25 years left on SOA bumper to bumper then 7 yrs (from first date registered) or 100k drive train whichever comes first. Actually better than 5/60 drive train on new car. Even includes drive axles!

• 3 weeks later...

Pepboys not on my list anymore.  

- They No longer carry parts in CO, nothing but a tire and MX place

- Double charged my credit card for the oil

- Could not complete the rebate form with the online order receipt

- Spent over an hour waiting for customer service to pick up the call

- BBB has numerous complaints on their Rebate program

That being said, they are processing the refunds for both charges.

You get what you pay for.  Almost Free oil was not worth it.  

On 1/31/2021 at 5:40 PM, brus brother said:

Noticed this ad: Shell Rotella gas truck/SUV full synthetic 5Qt L2 Free After Rebate at Pep Boys with in store pickup offer expires 2/20/21

LINK

Never needed synthetic before. My new to me 2019 2.5 OB drinks 0W-20 synthetic.

Probably not top shelf pour like Amsoil but the youtube reviews seem OK.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't use it if the car is consuming any oil, or you haven't driven it long enough yet to know.  I'm not a oil snob freakazoid so I don't get all into the details over that trashy discussion - but my limited understanding is that Rotella is great oil but the different formulation is bad for converters in gas engines that consume oil.  I'm not sure when the cutoff is for the oil consuming control rings of the FB engine in your car, but you're really close to it and I'm almost positive I've heard of 2019's consuming oil.  If it's a new to you car I'd get the oil and maybe wait a few oil changes to make sure it's not consuming any oil. 

An hour on hold?? Silly you. Let the CC sort them out. They will simply ask PB for explanation and then charge back to you. No waiting. The cc card companies don't want to waste your time or theirs. KEEP RECORDS of everyone and every conversation.

There is a recurring pattern with their new rebate company Black Hawk. If it says limit 2 rebates to household, they only send for one if on same receipt "My bad." Many people may not even notice when the gift card arrives.

"the rate of shoppers who fail to submit rebate claim forms on qualifying purchases is 50 to 70 percent." and then of course how many do it incorrectly or fall for the "My bad" excuse.

I do tons of rebates (I'm retired) and keep great records. A call clears it up or even a threat of contacting the AGs office (I've actually made the call) but now I will do 2 separate rebate submissions with two separate receipts.

10 hours ago, brus brother said:

An hour on hold?? Silly you.

I don't think he's silly. I do understand where you're coming from, few of us enjoy being on hold and post selfies about it!  haha.  That said..

12 hours ago, lmdew said:

I try to work with the stores first.

I respect and value the willingness to work with the local community more than the quickest way to "get what I want", or get a dollar, mentality. 

Being on hold usually just means you do paperwork, cleaning, organizing, small tasks, etc.  Not a big deal for outlier instances.