Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay so my car has always made this noise but it's getting progressively louder. Right after I shut off the ignition, there is a rhythmic pumping/gulping/sucking noise for about 30 seconds. Fuel pump maybe? I have no clue what it is...if you really listen, you can hear it in this sound file.(the video wouldn't fit)first you hear me turn off the car and then it starts. It sounds like it's coming from just the other side of my instrument panel

VID_20210807_000550683.mp3

my guess is the noise is coming from the heater core, which is located near the center of vehicle - you say it is getting worse?

are you losing coolant at all? check radiator when cold. do not rely on the overflow bottle level. if you are losing coolant, then you may have a leak somewhere...

hoses, radiator, heater core itself, and head gaskets are all potential leak sources.

To upload a video simply load to YouTube then drop the video link in here ;) 

I had trouble hearing it on my phone cranked up. I like heartless’ thoughts on it. My other questions are does your temp gauge sit high? And what model subaru, how many miles etc? 
If you have the bonnet lifted, can you hear any hissing or gurgling in the engine bay after turning your engine off lie you did above?

Lastly, how much driving do you do for this to occur? Does it happen when cold with a start, 30ish second run then shutdown? Or does it need to up to full temp minimum? 

Cheers 

Bennie

Our daughter had a 2011 Outback that made a similar 'clicking' sound after it was shut off. Turned out to be the motor assy that controlled the HVAC selector ( Def/Floor/Dash vents).

That motor assy high up on the drivers side of the unit. A real PITA to replace. Had to disassemble a lot of the dashboard and was still difficult to replace.