Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Failed Control Arm Bushings or Shock Top Mount Sounds?

2008 Outback. 130K miles. Rattling over bumps.

I see that the lower control arm bushings are shot.

Is there a way to distinguish between sound of those failed bushings and failed shock top mounts?

I am not doing the repairs myself.

Thinking I'd have them do the control arm bushings first which would not necessitate realignment and then if rattling persists, do the shocks?

Mechanic is also suggesting the shock/spring loaded assembly instead of just the top mount (less labor to swap out the assembly than replace top mount?) If so, is Monroe a decent brand?

They generally don’t give you quality parts in those kitted units. I’d be concerned that you’d be getting a cheaper top mount among other parts and that it’ll show mighty ugly in short order. 

Subafreak has done suspension for me in front of my eyes and to me it’s not a whole lot of extra labor to use the shop’s spring compressor and turn a wrench or two. 

Sidenote - have shopped at Perkins both online and over counter lately. The young fellow seems to have a better attitude these days and is rather courteous and helpful. Like been thrown in the deep end but he’s treading water well. The counter transaction was not a very healthy discount but at least he offered a little break. 

Good luck with it. 

honestly, would not put Monroes on a Subaru.. they are soft, almost mushy feeling

KYB struts/shocks, and either OEM or KYB top mounts.

takes a shop all of 5 minutes to squash the spring, pop the nut off the top, swap out parts, and reassemble one. We had the shop local to us do the other half's fronts for us.. in and out in about 15 minutes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moosens said:

They generally don’t give you quality parts in those kitted units. I’d be concerned that you’d be getting a cheaper top mount among other parts and that it’ll show mighty ugly in short order. 

Subafreak has done suspension for me in front of my eyes and to me it’s not a whole lot of extra labor to use the shop’s spring compressor and turn a wrench or two. 

Sidenote - have shopped at Perkins both online and over counter lately. The young fellow seems to have a better attitude these days and is rather courteous and helpful. Like been thrown in the deep end but he’s treading water well. The counter transaction was not a very healthy discount but at least he offered a little break. 

Good luck with it. 

Perkins will allow you to order on line and pickup at counter to avoid shipping. Is the online price what you are calling the counter price?

No , I had to stop in for a genuine over the counter , old fashioned transaction like buying a sandwich. I was rushing around and knew I’d be getting screwed a little on the price but threw in the towel. Just some bits. 

My online orders were significant, and I received their healthy discount whatever it is. I don’t have an actual number but it’s like John or Anthony were taking care of me. 

And yes KYB is really the way to go. You won’t like what the cheap top mounts look like after like 6 mos. Learned the hard way. 

Spend wisely my friend ! Ciao

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Changed lower control arm bushings (genuine Subaru) and front and rear sway bar links (Moog with zerk fittings) and the suspension is now as quiet as new. 

No need to start removing shocks to evaluate top mounts (necessitating realignment).

Now to tackle the noisy exhaust. Used high temp furnace caulk a few years ago and might be time for another coat.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brus brother said:

No need to start removing shocks to evaluate top mounts (necessitating realignment).

for the fronts at least, you do not need to remove them.. there is a rubber cover over the top - pop that off, shine a small flashlight in there, and you can tell if it is bad or not.. if you can see the ball bearings and/or rust, it needs replacing. (front has bearings for steering purposes)

rears don't have the bearing so are less prone to problems, but the rubber does deteriorate over time.

• Like 1

it is just a dust cover, and there is usually a foam rubber bumper kind of thing that holds it up.. that is probably a bit worn if it came down - the bumper thing just slides over the strut shaft, the dust boot slides over that... there is nothing else to hold it in place.

would be more concerned about whether there is any oil showing on the shaft - even gas filled have a little oil in them.