Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 Legacy, what holds the exhaust pipe onto the rear of the cat?

'96 Legacy, 2.2L automatic. The exhaust pipe was loose on the end of the catalyst. This is the joint where there are two bolts with springs to hold it together. It looks as if the bolts were connected to two ears or a collar or something on the back of the cat, but whatever they connected to is almost entirely rusted away. Also, was there a gasket in there? I picked some crud out, but not sure if it was old gasket or just mud and carbon.

What was this? What do I ask for at the parts store? Is there a workaround?

It's called a 'donut'. It's basically a thick gasket, designed to accommodate minor-misalignment of the joint.  I think that you can buy a kit that includes the bolts, springs and a donut.

EDIT: Found this online; no guarantee that this is the correct donut for your car, but this is probably what you're looking for: Catalytic Converter Gasket (Rear)

But you'll need those 'ears' to squeeze the donut and to get a seal.

Edited by forester2002s

I think that was the info I needed. I looked on Rockauto and found this diagram: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2993826&cc=1269873&pt=5836 Looks as if the round gasket and the bolt kit will do it.

The ears are rusted far beyond reuse, but I can fab them easily.  In the mean time, the car has a mean sound with no muffler.

I would weld it to the cat, but could probably clamp it - or use an expander and then clamp it. Dealers choice. 

They sell both sides so you can purchase both and then attach with welding or clamps and then no fab is required. For the price I wouldn't bother with fabrication. But it's your time vs. money that's the question not mine. 

GD