Ultimate Subaru Message Board

--- 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5L H4 DOHC 4EAT AWD ---

Hey All!!

I've looked through forums and other threads but cant find what I need. 

I might have to do an engine swap here soon depending on whether or not this engine is worth fixing. 

I really want to lift this thing about 1.5-2 inches and go 1 size up in tire size from 205/70/R15 to ---> 215/75/R15

My Goal is for it to be a good camping vehicle that can try to keep up with my buddies jeep.

If I'm going to do an engine swap id like to have enough power to accomplish this goal without it being underpowered after the lift plus camping gear and full size spare etc...

I want an easy swap, something that's pretty plug and play hopefully around 10-15 hours of labor. 

Im pricing out having a shop just do it for me but I am pretty mechanically inclined and I'm quite sure I could swap an engine myself with the proper tools and meticulous labeling and organizing of all the wires hoses and other stuff. 

For someone who has never even come close to swapping an engine, however I have changed spark plugs, distributor and a thermostat, I Imagine it would be easier to swap an engine with no experience than say replacing head gaskets with no experience, but again I have no clue, I just feel like it would be a bit less advanced to swap a intact engine and just hook up some hoses wires and bolts etc.. 

Let me know if I should just stop this line of reasoning and leave it to the pros or not haha.

But other than that what engine would be the best option for what I want to do. Hopefully plug and play enough that it doesn't cost too many shop hours or plug and play enough for me to do it if yall think that's a good idea.

1995 automatic 2.2 is best for reliability 

Any 1996-1998 EJ25 or 99 Outback or Legacy will work as well.  But they’re not good to buy used for the same reason you’re replacing it. 

Yes it’s doable. And yes headgaskets is a little more work and unforgiving. One bad move or negligence and jtll fail again.  It’s just big and a lot of weight.  Get an engine lift. Weight leveler helps some people to get a good angle. But isn’t necessary. I have one and have never used it. 

The only tricky parts:

1. Separating the engine and trans. They’ll be tight - just work around the bell housing with a stout screwdriver then chisel and keep working around  

2. getting the angle right.  Have to tilt trans back and engine pointed “up” for engine mounts to clear crossmember. 

so those are kind of an “art” or experience thing.   but not “hard”

3. Lower 14mm engine mount nuts. They’re hidden by the axles. Get good wobble sockets and extensions and tool assortment rather than trying to use something that won’t reach.  Speaking of tools don’t use 12 pin  to sockets particularly if you’re in a rust prone area. 

4. keep torque converter pushed back when pulling trans.  It’s tricky to get fully seated if it pulls out. Keep it pushed back and held in place by wire until the new engine goes in.  

There's no good options for retaining the power of the 25D without using another 25D. 

If it's just head gaskets that's the problem - swap the pistons out for 2000 - 2004 pistons, and use the 642 STi head gaskets. I would seek QUALIFIED professional assistance. Tell them what you want (EJ251 pistons, heads properly resurfaced, and STi 642 MLS gaskets installed) and if they don't IMMEDIATELY know what you are talking about - call another shop till you get a place that's reputable and understands these common modifications. 

I wouldn't jump into doing this yourself given the limited experience you have. 

GD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idosubaru said:

1995 automatic 2.2 is best for reliability 

Any 1996-1998 EJ25 or 99 Outback or Legacy will work as well.  But they’re not good to buy used for the same reason you’re replacing it. 

59 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

There's no good options for retaining the power of the 25D without using another 25D. 

Roger that guys thank you for the advice as always. 
Will the 2.2 be strong enough for a 2 inch lift and camping supplies or should I just stick to looking for a 25D

also am I looking for SOHC or DOHC? whats the main difference?
Any particular websites or places where I should be looking for engines?

I found these websites

https://www.jdmenginedepotinc.com/product-category/subaru/

and this website

https://jdmracingmotors.com/en/subaru/forester-legacy-ej25-engines-ej20x-ej20y-eg33-ez30-motors/1260/subaru-legacy-1996-1999-twin-cam-ej25d-engine/

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

If it's just head gaskets that's the problem - swap the pistons out for 2000 - 2004 pistons, and use the 642 STi head gaskets. I would seek QUALIFIED professional assistance. Tell them what you want (EJ251 pistons, heads properly resurfaced, and STi 642 MLS gaskets installed) and if they don't IMMEDIATELY know what you are talking about - call another shop till you get a place that's reputable and understands these common modifications. 

I wouldn't jump into doing this yourself given the limited experience you have. 

GD

Hey brother is there anyway you can provide me your contact info? Email or phone through private message? you always have great advice and id love to see if there is any way you could help me out here and there with this project. I understand you have your own shop and all so maybe you can point me in the right direction, i trust your advice and id like a reliable source I can reach out to without making a post on here every time haha.

22 hours ago, faunjoustino said:

Roger that guys thank you for the advice as always. 
Will the 2.2 be strong enough for a 2 inch lift and camping supplies or should I just stick to looking for a 25D

also am I looking for SOHC or DOHC? whats the main difference?
Any particular websites or places where I should be looking for engines?

I found these websites

https://www.jdmenginedepotinc.com/product-category/subaru/

and this website

https://jdmracingmotors.com/en/subaru/forester-legacy-ej25-engines-ej20x-ej20y-eg33-ez30-motors/1260/subaru-legacy-1996-1999-twin-cam-ej25d-engine/

It looks like you're sourcing EJ25 engines.  You can buy one of those JDM EJ25's (even the 00-05 ones) and bolt your heads and intake mainfold onto it.  But don't screw it up or you'll blow headgaskets again.  They are not plug and play.  You'll have to call the JDM places and see if they have any older 90's stuff if you want plug and play.  They're not high volume ennginnes any more, best to call and ask. 

If you suspect your current EJ25 is good and hasn't been severely overheated or overheated multiple times then just repair it and no worries.  Many of them have been so they're not the most comforting engine to put a lot of work into. 

2.2 could feel underpowered if you're trudging 10,000 feet up mountain passes carrying 500 extra pounds of people and gear. 

2.2 SOHC.  I already told you what engines to look for:  

23 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Edited by idosubaru