Ultimate Subaru Message Board

window question

My car was boken into and the rear driverside window of my wagon was the one that was broken. Are there tricks for getting that rear window in and out? Im planning on replacing it with one from pullapart but I dont know how to get the window out. or do they take all the glass out at pull apart I cant remember. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Replacing windows (on my 83 GL wagon, anyway) is as easy as it gets. I had to remove them to replace the door handle linkage on the two rear doors. I had never done a window before and had it out, replaced the handle, and put the window back in less than an hour.

No special tools, but it would be good to harvest a few extra of the plastic connectors that hold the door panels on while you are at the junkyard (in case some break when you are removing your door panels). Bring a skinny flat blade screwdriver, and your normal socket set with extension.

Remove the plastic part around the inside door handle

Remove the window crank (unless it is electric, mine is)

Remove the top part of the door panel, using the screwdriver.

Try not to break the plasic connectors.

Remove the lower door panel

Mark the position of the window stop, then remove it.

(small metal piece that stops the window travel)

Roll the window until you can see the two bolts that hold the glass.

Remove both bolts, remove the window (or in your case, whatever is left of it)

Clean up the broken glass

Reverse the order for installation

Hope this helps

Are you talking about the rear door window, or the very rear quarter window?

My 93 Loyale has a gasket for the rear window, which isn't supposed to be to hard to replace. I replaced a Glue-in rear window on my 87 wagon, and I don't think I ever want to do that again! (getting the old glue and glass removed was a royal PIA).

Good luck!

Chris

Is it the quarter glass (looks into the hatch area) or the rear door glass? If it is the quarter glass, it should be in a gasket. If it is the gasket, remove the gasket from the vehicle by simply pulling off the body. Using a hook tool, clean the broken glass from the gasket. Wear safety glasses and gloves!!! Once cleaned out, put gasket on new window making sure the right side is out and you have the top/bottom correct. You may need to stretch the gasket to get it on. Next, take a length of 1/8" to 1/4" rope and insert it around the gasket inserting it into the lip of the gasket that will hold it to the body. Start and end the rope at the bottom center. With someone holding the window and gasket in its exact place on the outside, start pulling the rope. Always pull towards the center of the window and the corners might require you to make a circular motion to get the rope thru. As you pull, have the person on the outside lightly SLAP the window with a flat hand to set it in place. NEVER hit the window at or in further than the rope has been pulled as it can break the glass depending on the stress. Once pulled all the way around, you may need to use the hook tool to adjust the lip in all the way.

A little detailed but should be everything you need to know. (at least if it is the quarter window???)

If it is a glue in, consider getting a used part and taking to a professional. Shouldn't cost much for the labor!

• 4 years later...
Next, take a length of 1/8" to 1/4" rope and insert it around the gasket inserting it into the lip of the gasket that will hold it to the body. Start and end the rope at the bottom center. With someone holding the window and gasket in its exact place on the outside, start pulling the rope. Always pull towards the center of the window and the corners might require you to make a circular motion to get the rope thru. As you pull, have the person on the outside lightly SLAP the window with a flat hand to set it in place.

I have to replace the quarter glass on my '91 Loyale. Is the point of inserting/pulling out the rope to "open" the groove running around the outside of the gasket so that it seats on the metal lip?

Also, any advice on removing this gasketed quarter glass from a donor at the junkyard? Should I just cut the gasket with a sharp knife and peel it away?

Thanks for any tips!

The rope is used to pull the gasket over the lip of the opening. I like to lube the gasket a bit with some gritless hand cleaner, just makes it easier in my opinion.

The coners can be a pain, but take your time and work your way around them.

Cutting the gasket is the easiest way to remove the donor glass. Good sharp razor knife is the method I use.

I have to replace the quarter glass on my '91 Loyale. Is the point of inserting/pulling out the rope to "open" the groove running around the outside of the gasket so that it seats on the metal lip?

Also, any advice on removing this gasketed quarter glass from a donor at the junkyard? Should I just cut the gasket with a sharp knife and peel it away?

Thanks for any tips!

I'm pretty sure the rear quarter glass is adhesive bonded, not just a gasket. You'll need the wire window removal tool, like a wire saw, to cut the glue. Then a roll of Butyl-acetate rubberized adhesive for replacing it.