Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sold 3 CATs yesterday to a recycler for $125 each.  They even picked them up.

They wanted the Part Number off the CAT.  There is a # under the heatsheild on a metal tab that comes off the seam.  You have to cut the heatsheild back a bit and then wire brush or sand the tab to see the #.

Edited by lmdew
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We sell the bad cats we pull off about every 3-4 months. We have a company pizza party on those days. Last sale I had about 16 converters. $3700. Guy I use ONLY buys from shops - trucks them to Chicago. Doesn't care about any proof of anything. LoL. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

2 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

We sell the bad cats we pull off about every 3-4 months. We have a company pizza party on those days. Last sale I had about 16 converters. $3700. Guy I use ONLY buys from shops - trucks them to Chicago. Doesn't care about any proof of anything. LoL. 

GD

yeah, dealing with a shop is a bit different than dealing with the general public.

• 3 weeks later...

In CT, they are pushing a bill to make it illegal to sell a Cat that his not connected to a vehicle:  https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/connecticut/articles/2022-05-02/connecticut-bill-attempts-to-stop-catalytic-convert-thefts#:~:text=In general%2C the bill prohibits,converters they sell or transfer.

Not sure why they didn't just qualify that to aftermarket cats that are not worth that much.  

1 hour ago, ThosL said:

In CT, they are pushing a bill to make it illegal to sell a Cat that his not connected to a vehicle:  https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/connecticut/articles/2022-05-02/connecticut-bill-attempts-to-stop-catalytic-convert-thefts#:~:text=In general%2C the bill prohibits,converters they sell or transfer.

Not sure why they didn't just qualify that to aftermarket cats that are not worth that much.  

dang. effective July 1 if passes.

I've bought and sold a lot of precious metals and numismatic coins over the years; get weekly reports from numismatic crimes on thefts in the mail, houses, smash and grabs from cars and at coin shows.  They almost never catch the thieves or retrieve the loot.  One of the government officials' wife got cleaned out a few years ago and they pushed a very onerous law to document everything that comes in to pawn and coin shops, didn't do much good.