Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 Justy 1.2L showing low compression on cylinders 1 and 3.

I think here in this forum and on this message board you’re likely to not find much assistance. I hope I’m wrong. 

Just took a look at one site and no Justy. Otherwise I’d recommend online manuals posted for our use. Maybe try a search if you haven’t already. 

Best of luck with it. 

Edited by moosens

You sure you don’t have high compression on cylinder #2? :horse: 

There's a website that has a whole bunch of Subaru manuals to download, I’m 99% sure there’s a Justy manual on there. It should have all the info you need ;) 

There’s this page - Wade past the ads to the manuals you want: 
https://www.onlymanuals.com/subaru/justy?category=cars 

This site also has some Justy manuals available: 
https://workshop-manuals.com/subaru/ 

Hope those help. 

Cheers 

Bennie

21 hours ago, darsdoug said:

I'm getting 120 on cyl. 2. Thank you.

Yeah sorry, that was me making a poor joke - that’s me flogging the dead horse, not you or your Justy! 

Steptoe could be on to something there, it could even be sticky valves if it’s sat for a decent amount of time. 

How’s the search for the manuals you need going? 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 8/30/2022 at 5:33 PM, Steptoe's photos said:

I am of no help, but, you say 120 in #2 and title says low in #'s 1 & 3 - how low is that? Could be needing valve adustment, not a tear down ?

On 8/31/2022 at 5:18 AM, el_freddo said:

Yeah sorry, that was me making a poor joke - that’s me flogging the dead horse, not you or your Justy! 

Steptoe could be on to something there, it could even be sticky valves if it’s sat for a decent amount of time. 

How’s the search for the manuals you need going? 

Cheers 

Bennie

I removed the valve cover and TB cover. The timing belt is dead nuts on and the rockers all have valve lash at the top of the power stroke on each cylinder. I did a second dry compression test yesterday and got 25lbs on #1, 150lbs on #2 and 25lbs on #3. I can hear metallic clanking coming from the #3 end of the block so it looks the like the head going to have to come off.  It starts and runs but smokes. 

3 minutes ago, darsdoug said:

I removed the valve cover and TB cover. The timing belt is dead nuts on and the rockers all have valve lash at the top of the power stroke on each cylinder. I did a second dry compression test yesterday and got 25lbs on #1, 150lbs on #2 and 25lbs on #3. I can hear metallic clanking coming from the #3 end of the block so it looks the like the head going to have to come off.  It starts and runs but smokes. 

I located pics on google by searching; "timing belt replacement 88 Subaru Justy"

5 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

Is that a rhetorical question? Or are you talking to yourself? 

I’d say because it’s something interesting and rare..? 

Cheers 

Bennie

that is what the forum is all about - talking it out with yourself.

What is the history on this ? Have you been driving it and this happen, or you picked up a bargain ?

The sort of results you got are similar to my experience of finding burnt valves. Blow by from stuck rings has tended to give me 50% comp test result and no idle issues, or power issues either for that odd matter !

8 hours ago, Steptoe's photos said:

that is what the forum is all about - talking it out with yourself.

What is the history on this ? Have you been driving it and this happen, or you picked up a bargain ?

The sort of results you got are similar to my experience of finding burnt valves. Blow by from stuck rings has tended to give me 50% comp test result and no idle issues, or power issues either for that odd matter !

My next door neighbor acquired it from a party that had two Justy's for sale @ 500 ea. He said he got it for agreeing to build them a shelf. Apparently my neighbor thought I've had too much free time on my hands? lol.

• Haha 2