Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C works from half the dash ? 2006 Outback

Thanks Larry but let me dig further and get a recharge too. If I still have an issue I know where to find you. 

Humidity has lifted !! But a couple more dog days in the 10 day forecast. To me if you make it to the third week of September you no longer need a/c until mid May. Time is ticking. 

19 hours ago, moosens said:

Thanks Larry but let me dig further and get a recharge too. If I still have an issue I know where to find you. 

Humidity has lifted !! But a couple more dog days in the 10 day forecast. To me if you make it to the third week of September you no longer need a/c until mid May. Time is ticking. 

If it needs refrigerant, there's definitely a leak somewhere, usually it's the o rings at the compressor.

I have a 2002 Impreza that had some AC problems; I would get cold air from the middle two dash vents and the side vents were warmer air.  I did a lot of troubleshooting and replaced the condenser, high and low pressure lines, and expansion valve.  While it was apart, I flushed the evaporator, and cleaned the fins (they were filthy (apparently the car has never had a cabin air filter installed).  After all of this, my AC started short cycling.  In the end, I think the main problem was the compressor which was replaced and everything has been fine since.

Some notes and things I learned:  If you replace the compressor pay close attention to the warranty requirements, everything has to be on the same receipt for most manufacturers.

If your system is completely dead, or you have replaced the gaskets, pull a vacuum on the system for about an hour then shut the pump off and leave it connected for 45 minutes or so, this will ensure most contaminants are out of the system and that you have no leaks.  You can rent the tools from most of your friendly auto parts stores.

When you recharge, R134a pressure and temperature are almost equal, thus a charge of 34ish psi means that your temperatures are approximately 34 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are undercharged, that reading on the gauge will be below 32 and your evaporator will freeze up, higher and it does not cool.

My AC system works amazing after the repairs, but it can be a nightmare especially if the system has had a leak or has been opened for an extended period of time.  Contaminants left in the system will destroy a new compressor if you replace it.

Good luck!  AC work sucks, but it is actually pretty simple once you get your bearings.

Thanks ! If it comes to any of that it’s going to a shop. I have no real space , minimal A/C equipment, and an extreme lack of spare time. 

Some repairs I don’t do. Doing the cheap guy thing and getting the spray can is about as far as I get with a/c. 

And for note, this car was my friend’s. He’s that guy that does everything right, even goes to church. Makes great money and covers all bases. So the car was always well maintained. It’s just at that age now.