Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dash/Cluster Light LED Upgrade Suggestions

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone swapped their cluster/dash lights out for LEDs? I have to replace my heater box and figured it might be a good time to swap out the 21 year old incandescents. This is for a 2002 Impreza TS.

If you have done it, did you use a different color? I am contemplating red for the night vision, but don't have a preference beyond that. Any recommendations on brand? Google pulls up a gazillion Chinese no name brands but nothing that seems to be a well known brand. I would hate to switch them all out for faulty bulbs.

Thanks!

Edited by Daskuppler

Been done thousands of times. Depending on the LED, the dimmer doesn't always work. And they have to be wide angle LEDs, or you'll end up with bring and dark areas.

Just know that the alternator circuit is looking for specific resistance across the battery light bulb, so either leave that one incandescent, or add a resistor to mimic it. Otherwise your alternator won't charge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Been done thousands of times. Depending on the LED, the dimmer doesn't always work. And they have to be wide angle LEDs, or you'll end up with bring and dark areas.

Just know that the alternator circuit is looking for specific resistance across the battery light bulb, so either leave that one incandescent, or add a resistor to mimic it. Otherwise your alternator won't charge.

Good to know, thank you. Is there a reputable brand or is it just kind of a crap shoot? Any idea what size resistor is needed?

2 hours ago, Daskuppler said:

Good to know, thank you. Is there a reputable brand or is it just kind of a crap shoot? Any idea what size resistor is needed?

Lots of reputable brands. Superbrightleds, Diode Dynamics, Autolumination off the top of my head.

No. I wouldn't do it that way, but theoretically a person could look at the wattage of the bulb and calcuate the resistance to mimic it.

Just keep the old incandescent globe in for the charge light, easy job! 

To help spread the light you might also need to rough up the tip of the LEDs to help with dispersing the light. 

Swap the LEDs in, fit the cluster back in the car and rest at night. It’ll take a few goes to get all the LEDs the right way around and to reduce hot spots. From memory I used a small dob of white out on the tip of the LED - I can’t remember if this stayed or if I scrubbed them off. 

It’s all trial and error! Nothing to lose with this mod! 

Cheers 

Bennie