Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Late PH1 EJ22 Grey Top injectors, any info?

I have a question about some injectors I pulled from a parts engine, it was a 96-97 legacy 2.2 and they came with grey top injectors.

All my searching tells me there were really early grey tops, then red tops for a long time, but no one really talks about the later grey tops. It looks like they were standard issue in the early 1.8 and 2.2 imprezas.

Does anyone have any information about these? Mainly flow rates.

I'm looking to replace some red top injectors in my 94, and the fact the later grey tops are almost half the cost of the red tops new, makes me wonder what the specs are on them. I'm trying to avoid ending up with something with a lower fuel rate, and I can not find any real information about these injectors. I did at least see some people running the grey tops in place of the red tops, so I do at least know it's possible.

THANKS!!!

I think the greys were found on the autos and the reds found on the manual engines - possibly only for the series 1 setup as the red to injectors are very common from my understanding. 

With the engine management on these vehicles I highly doubt they’re that highly calibrated/sensitive to an injector swap like this. Just do an ecu reset between the swap and let it relearn its settings before driving it. 

Or just get the red ones, you could have them cleaned and flow tested if you felt the need to on the old ones.

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...