Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Movement In Passenger Seat Back, Everything Is Tight

Hello Everyone!

The car in question is a 14 Forester Premium. The issue at hand is some unwanted play in the bracket attaching the seat back to the seat bottom.  It is only on the inboard side and started after the seat was leaned on.

I pulled the seat thinking maybe something was loose since I am just replaced the bottom, but all was tight. I noticed that the square peg in the middle of the spring on this bracket was moving a in when I pushed on the seat back which results in the audible pop and movement.

Two questions:

One: Any chance this can be serviced? I didn't see any way to do so but thought I would ask.

Two: Can I buy a new bracket only? Subaru was confused as to what I was asking for but thought it was probably part of the seat back assembly. I was not able to locate the party online but I'm not the best with their system.

I have attached a picture from the Subaru parts website showing the part I am inquiring about.

Cheers!

20230404_121545.jpg

3 hours ago, idosubaru said:

The bolt it tight and not stripped?

Is the bracket visibly bent? 

Can you bend the bracket back into position?

Some newer subarus have adjustable recline, my 2016 OB does - does this one have that?

I have no idea if it does or not. What would I be looking for? The bolts are not stripped, the movement comes from the square peg in the middle of the bracket. The bracket itself doesn't actually move and does not appear to be bent.

8 hours ago, idosubaru said:

It looks like parts are available. Here’s the exploded diagram:

https://www.subaruparts.com/v-2014-subaru-forester--2-5i--2-5l-h4-gas/body--rear-seat-components

Is it item 10, 11, or 15?

None of them, it's the front seat. The item in question seems to be the bracket that attaches the seat back to the seat lower. In the middle of that bracket is the spring and pivot point. It's under the plastic cover just rear of the seatbelt latch.