Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Forester Heater A/C Controls

I picked up the 04 Forester.  Theft, someone stripped out the center dash panel with all the Controls, radio, ....

www.car-part.com and the Subaru Dealer list both an automatic and manual temp control version.

Anyway, to verify?

Cables..... Manual had cables for Temp and Function ( Def, Dash, floor ). Auto had 2 14 or 16 pin connectors as well as motors for Temp and Function. Also blower motor on Manual had blower resistor, The Auto had Blower with speed control electronics on the base of the motor. Also different connectors.

Edit... As I think of it, The X model was manual controls, The XS had Auto Controls.

I had both ..... long ago

Edited by Ferret54
Afterthoughts

I've pulled may dashes out of older Subaru's but not an 04 Forester.

I may pull it out at the yard and if it's not too bad just get the complete harness.

Anyone ever pull the dash out of a 2004 Forester?

Manual Controls, two cables one going to each side of the airbox.  

Good News, there are two connectors and a short 12" wire harness.  The connectors are right above the airbag control ECU.  Hard to see but there.

Subaru parts told me 03 - 08 used the same heater control unit.  I pulled one out of an 06 today.  We'lll see!

• Like 1

I got the harness plugged in today.  Everything works but the radio.

The radio will power up, for a minute or so the speakers work but then the speakers go dead?

I could not find any aftermarket componets under the seat.  I tried several radios, they all do the same thing.

There are 4 wires coming off the large white plug that I believe go to the cigarette lighter.  Black, purple, orange/white, yellow/black.

The harness was off a 2006.  The Forester  is a 2004, but Subaru told me they use the same panels.

Off to the yard Wed!

Any thoughts?