Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Subaru Forester wheel bearing replacement

This is probably beyond my ability, a 2002 wheel bearing replacement due to the tools required on an old car.   A friend is mechanically adept, has a lot of Snap on tools.

I was checking Amazon, and it looks like replacing the whole hub is the way to go especially since I have only 4/5 studs in the hub and replacing the hub would address that.  Is it likely that missing one stud damaged the bearing?   

Here is one hub option, looks to be a substandard knock off:  https://www.amazon.com/Front-Wheel-Bearing-Hub-Repair/dp/B08Z9RX68B/ref=sr_1_7?content-id=amzn1.sym.d3f43d11-fd5a-4179-8b1e-1a03d11e07f4%3Aamzn1.sym.d3f43d11-fd5a-4179-8b1e-1a03d11e07f4&keywords=wheel+bearing+subaru+forester+front&pd_rd_r=9b76bdd5-31f3-47df-8253-bc36c149ad06&pd_rd_w=9banO&pd_rd_wg=ThPQD&pf_rd_p=d3f43d11-fd5a-4179-8b1e-1a03d11e07f4&pf_rd_r=BGWPRZ870PR6VJ45S76W&pid=HR0nPDI&qid=1686150425&sr=1-7&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.d977788f-1483-4f76-90a3-786e4cdc8f10&vehicle=2002-13-57-105--9--6-168-115-1-1--22-&vehicleName=2002+Subaru+Forester

Also the rear main seal is leaking, are there any stop gap measures on that?   To fix it would require engine removal.

Thanks as usual for the help.

That kit doesn't have seals included, new bearings won't last long if water and dirt get in.  Get new seals to go with your model, fronts and rears are different sizes so pick appropriately.

The video is for a newer subaru with integrated bearing and hub unit.  Your 2002 is a lot more involved, the bearings would need a press to remove and install.  There are snap ring and seals to contend with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nvu said:

That kit doesn't have seals included, new bearings won't last long if water and dirt get in.  Get new seals to go with your model, fronts and rears are different sizes so pick appropriately.

The video is for a newer subaru with integrated bearing and hub unit.  Your 2002 is a lot more involved, the bearings would need a press to remove and install.  There are snap ring and seals to contend with.

Ok, I'll pull the tire off and see what I'm dealing with.   Typically Subaru upgraded with beefier parts such as brakes and easier to fix parts, the hub.

I found this video on the job on a 1998, probably much closer to the job and a lot more difficult:

Edited by ThosL

I wouldn’t complain much about either of those prices given where we live. 

Yeah Perkins quoted $650 doing it while on the car. 
Subafreak is going to hook me up next few weeks. He’s way up in the other end of the state. And I’m lucky to get some of his time. But he’s a Subaru tech. Not sure who’s around down this end of the state. Used to be Angelo off exit 16 in Norwalk. Can’t think of any Subaru specially shops or side gigs from dealer techs like I used to have a small network of. 

• Like 1

LaJoies in Norwalk had the one I needed, and a local mechanic may be my choice in the am as I do not have the power tools, just low end ones.  He'll probably get me for around $75 so $150 is not bad to replace it plus the yard let me take a rotor which I needed.