Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will a 2L Legacy Turbo engine fit...

...into an '86 XT without too many problems? My XT is front wheel drive, and all turbo legacy engines down here are in AWD vehicles.

Has anyone done this before?

Would it be feasible to put a Legacy turbo in place of mine? Would I need to fit an intercooler?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Well, I'm not sure what GD is talking about, but I have installed a JDM EJ20G Legacy engine into a 87 RX, it pretty much bolts right in. The only modifications that I had to do was to fabricate a new back tranny mount bracket from the original one, I also used the Legacy tranny. The 86 and 87 have the same tranny tunnel and they are narrower at the back then the Legacy, but the front bolts right up. The hardest part of these transplants if the electrical. Hooking up the ECU for the JDM EJ20G can be a lesson in patience. I used an after market ECU for my transplant, much easier, but a lot more expensive. There were two series of Legacy EJ20Gs, one made 200hp and the other made 220hp. Why not try to find a JDM WRX engine, if you stay with a manual tranny and a sedan, they start with 240hp and go up to about 280hp.

...into an '86 XT without too many problems? My XT is front wheel drive, and all turbo legacy engines down here are in AWD vehicles
im just now starting my EJ22 transplant into my XT, which also happens to be an 86 2wd as well. Im using a 92 Legacy FSM as well as an 86 FSM which has the wiring diagrams for my engine harness, Ive got most of the wiring figured out on paper, just need to get my bellhousing adaptor figured out, as well as what im going to use for flywheel/clutch. Then I can see if my wiring is correct.

Cant wait to see what 160hp (intake/exhaust) feels like in a light sporty car.

:D

Well, I'm not sure what GD is talking about......
The only modifications that I had to do was to fabricate a new back tranny mount bracket from the original one, I also used the Legacy tranny. The 86 and 87 have the same tranny tunnel and they are narrower at the back then the Legacy, but the front bolts right up. The hardest part of these transplants if the electrical. Hooking up the ECU for the JDM EJ20G can be a lesson in patience. I used an after market ECU for my transplant, much easier, but a lot more expensive.

The above = A lot of modifications;)

is your xt already turbo? if not ist mpfi, which would work with the turbo as far as the electricals go. if its not turbo you will have a higer compression ratio than with a stock motor, so you may wnat to go with an aftermarket engine management system

the xt came as a turbo model also, and ea82T motor will bolt right up, and any from an 85-86 will work the same with the ecu and electricals, but you will need the knock sensing distributor to go with

what i am saying is find a whole turbo motor off an 85-86 any turbo model subaru, since thay came like that anyway, and everything will pretty much be bolt-on with little or no modification

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, my XT is a turbo model and already has plenty of power. I have read that the turbo is somewhat on the small side and was wondering if a turbo from a 2L legacy would bolt on there. I am not familiar with turbo's, but was thinking that the 2L turbo would be bigger, thus, give me more power? If this is possible, would I also need to use the intercooler from the legacy?

So, were you asking if the turbo engine or just the turbo can be installed. The answer to both is yes, but with the bigger turbo will come a larger spinning mass, thus more ineria to overcome, thus more turbo lag. Actually going to two smaller turbos would be better, but if you want to talk about mods, this is the way to go, you have to mod everything.