Ultimate Subaru Message Board

08 Legacy Outback PO026, PO028, PO700

I picked up a 08 Outback, Auto Trans, 153K on it.  PO said it did not run in the add, Dead.  Well I got there and he said a friend came over the night before and they jumped it and it started.

While I was there, he started it and it sounded like a great running Subaru.  I bought it.  He was very low on gas, that was my first stop.  Well a mile or so down the road, the engine starts running real rough.  So do I stop for gas or just head home.  I headed home as it was only 5 miles.  Well as I started up a slight grade, it died.  Called a friend and we got a 1/4 tank in it.  It tried to start but no go.  

We towed it around the corner to a side street and I had a tow truck come and get it.  The oil is very dirty!  That will be my first item.  I'll test the VVT componets and pull them if needed to clean the screen.  I hope an oil change takes care of things.  May be a bit of Seafoam.

I've seen the P0026 P0028 go away just by changing the oil filter numerous times. As a matter of fact I think every single time I've seen those codes they went away with a new oil filter. They're very sensitive to the filter, particularly H6 engines, even Subaru filters. Of course you'll just do a proper oil change, sounds like it's waaaaaay overdue, but thought I'd let you know what I've seen.  Good chance the AT code just goes away due to being an artifact of multiple start attempts or the other two codes.

Doctor said it should heal without surgery.  Sweet!

Helped a fellow with a 2003 Legacy Outback get it on the road today.  The Trans was down 3 qts.  Would move in reverse but not FWD.  Gear Ratio error codes for 1 - 4.  

Check your fluids!!!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the VVT solenoid plugs today.  It started up and ran, but good knock.  Drained the oil and cut the filter open, it was full of metal debris.  Looks like a engine change.  So it goes.  I don't know how is sounded so good when they first started it up.  That's life.

• Sad 2

Oh man what were some of the things jokers used to toss in to hush loud clicks n clacks ? 

Sawdust was one, I can tell ya that. 

Not saying that’s the case but uh, ya never know. More jokers out there than ever. Good luck with it. 

15 hours ago, moosens said:

Oh man what were some of the things jokers used to toss in to hush loud clicks n clacks ? 

Sawdust was one, I can tell ya that. 

Not saying that’s the case but uh, ya never know. More jokers out there than ever. Good luck with it. 

That VVT engine might've gotten the "STP oil treatment"

https://community.cartalk.com/t/stp-oil-additive-good-or-bad/5851

Many people advise against using that stuff in modern engines.