Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trying to help my cousin get his 98 outback going again. the front diff went dry and seized currently looking at transmissions. his car has a TZ102Z2DBA currently in it. will a TZ1A2ZJEAA work electronically? they are both same final drive ratios.

The trans chart I have did not find the TZ1A2ZJEAA, what did it come out of?

Quick google search found this:

th?id=OIP.VdZ3DbbcCw0fQfnSoWlSnQHaDt&w=200&h=150&c=8&rs=1&bgcl=3b6647&r=0&o=6&dpr=2.5&pid=5.1

This part fits 1999-2001 Subaru Impreza, 1999 Subaru Legacy, 1999 Subaru Outback. Affordable, reliable and built to last, Subaru part # 31000AD830 Trans AY/TZ1A2ZJEAA stands out as the smart option. SubaruPartsDeal.com

• 4 weeks later...

i do not have a trans code for this one but maby might be known without. would a 97 impreza trans work in the 98 outback? i found a 97 impreza trans with 120,000 on it but the seller did not post the trans code with it. i did messege and ask for a picture of the code but havent heard from him yet and am just wondering if its needed.

Posted (edited)

Hey...'98 OB Automatic/4EAT had the 4.44 FDR/Final drive. Only the '96-'98 Auto EJ25D cars will match up directly - Legacy OB/GT/LSi/SUS, '98 Forester and Impreza RS. '90-'98 EJ22 (and maybe EJ18) cars will work, but you'll need the matching rear diff (3.9 and 4.11 were mixed in) and the flex plate for the TC. 

Edited by wtdash

On 5/6/2024 at 9:39 AM, sirtokesalot said:

i do not have a trans code for this one but maby might be known without. would a 97 impreza trans work in the 98 outback? i found a 97 impreza trans with 120,000 on it but the seller did not post the trans code with it. i did messege and ask for a picture of the code but havent heard from him yet and am just wondering if its needed.

different final drives as wtdash already said.  you could install it and run it in FWD or get the matching rear diff and swap that to match.

Posted (edited)

here is the code for the possible replacement transmission. i can get the rear diff with it as well would the trans function in a 1998 outback? also would i need the flex plate or would the one on the outback currently work? TZ102ZA5AA-GN

Edited by sirtokesalot