Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej18 Need help identifying this part

I got a vacuum leak on my 93 Impreza EJ18.. plastic tab broke off what looks like a solenoid maybe and the hose routes back to the air intake. Sorry bout the quality, had to whack the iPhone photo down so it would upload. Any idea on the name/part number? Or a way to fix this one? Think it’s making my car run lean

IMG_8509.jpeg

IMG_8508.jpeg

On 4/13/2024 at 3:12 PM, 93Nubski said:

I got a vacuum leak on my 93 Impreza EJ18.. plastic tab broke off what looks like a solenoid maybe and the hose routes back to the air intake. Sorry bout the quality, had to whack the iPhone photo down so it would upload. Any idea on the name/part number? Or a way to fix this one? Think it’s making my car

Intake hose.  Air cleaner hose.

Valve. Solenoid. Intake solenoid.

The EJ18 has some wildly confusing intake contraptions. The blow out on the intake hose you posted looks too big for a small solenoid hose - it’s more like egr Recirc size. But the broken solenoid is definitely a solenoid.

Subaru online parts diagrams are fairly decent. I’d look those up for part names and number. Then search google or eBay or junk yards using those names and numbers. 

This is just an example and not necessarily what you need but first thing I pulled up for example of a 1993 intake hose diagram  

this may include the valve or solenoid you need:

https://parts.wheelingsubaru.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=49227167&ukey_assembly=6021290

https://parts.wheelingsubaru.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=49287214&ukey_assembly=6021122

Check the hood emissions hose chart.  It may have it.  

Looks like there is enough material there that you could go to ACE Hardware and get a brass fitting that is a barb on one side and and pipe thread on the other.  Get the correct tap and thread it.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 93Nubski said:

@idosubaru would it make my car run lean not being hooked up? Junk yards around my place seem to crush anything under 2000s… tried looking on that website guy posted above with no luck in solenoids 

Yes sucking air means more air and lower fuel/air ratio = lean. 

14 hours ago, lmdew said:

Check the hood emissions hose chart.  It may have it.  

Looks like there is enough material there that you could go to ACE Hardware and get a brass fitting that is a barb on one side and and pipe thread on the other.  Get the correct tap and thread it.

Looks like the plastic binder qualities have cooked off from engine heat. IF you thread for a fitting go with a straight thread to prevent further cracking, not tapered like pipe thread.

There may not be enough wall thickness to tap a hole so maybe find some brass hobby tubing at the Ace hardware to fit inside the hole snugly and plastic cement to glue it together.

Posted (edited)

@idosubaru @czny @lmdewOk thanks guys.. going to go to the closest ace tomorrow and see what I can find, not sure if I can tap it or not. It’s pretty brittle from heat over time. I’m thinking plastic cement might be my best bet til I can find a decent one. I think it’s a vacuum solenoid, my diagram is shot. Anyone know if one of a 2.2 would be compatible? I’m guessing not

Edited by 93Nubski

That is probably glass fiber reinforced Nylon and I've had fairly good success carefully fitting a short piece of K&S brass tubing inside a broken connection like that to add some mechanical strength and then carefully coating the outside with a layer of JB Weld. You can use tiny amounts of CA glue to hold things in position first and then epoxy smoothed over the top. Not sure if you have enough material there to work with. 

Posted (edited)

@idosubaru @azdave @czny @lmdewIdk how well it will work but this is what I’m starting with., will modify tomorrow. Got it tapped to a 1/4 but could not get 1/4 copper or brass pipe without spending 60 on a refrigerator ice maker kit lol. I do hvac so my plan is to find a scrap piece

Edited by 93Nubski

Did you even try to get the hose nub out of the hose so it could be re-attached to the valve?

It appears to me that you misunderstood the repair we suggested. Unless that poly tube is same OD as the ID of the hose(?)

@czny outer diameter is the same size as the id, it fell apart inside the hose I got pieces of it man.. not a single ace within 50 miles had hobby brass or anything other than a refrigerator line for 55$..

5 hours ago, 93Nubski said:

@czny outer diameter is the same size as the id, it fell apart inside the hose I got pieces of it man.. not a single ace within 50 miles had hobby brass or anything other than a refrigerator line for 55$..

Didn't think of it before but there's also Hobby Lobby stores

https://www.yellowpages.com/new-stanton-pa/hobby-lobby-hours

Figures your valve would be disintegrating, next time.

Edited by czny

@czny never been to one, I’ll have to check it out.. what I tried didn’t work so well. After letting sit all night it was still not trustworthy to not fall apart and get sucked into the intake. I only need to fix it for a week or two, found one on the internet used. As long as it wasn’t a scam lol, I appreciate the info and help man