Ultimate Subaru Message Board

towing capability of a GL-10?

I will be going to Colorado Springs next week to pick up some of the stuff I left there when I moved to Oregon last year. I know you are not technically supposed to tow a trailer with a GL-10, but for those who have, what is a realistic weight that I would be able to tow safely? My car is a 1987 GL-10 with EA82T and FT4WD 5 speed. I will be going from Colorado Springs, Colorado to Portland Oregon. I would like to tow the Uhaul 5' X10' trailer. I am not in a huge rush, so I can keep my speed down to 55 if necessary. Does anybody have any guidelines, advice, etc.? Any ideas where to find a class 2 hitch that will fit my car?

Thanks,

Tom

One leg of my trip to Texas involved a portland to Denver run..

There were a few times (headed into wyoming comes to mind) that maintaining 55 without a trailer was a real chore. Theres no way in helll I would do that with a trailer.

PS.. I have pretty much the same car you do.

I want to tow a small load with my GL SW too. I saw a great tow hitch on a 1988 GL made by Reese, was under the car looking at how they did it. However checked with Reese it looks like they do not make that type anymore. Were can you get a tow hitch? Who makes one for a Soob SW EA82?

Cool, I lived in Colorado Springs a while back. Enjoy the fun drive.