Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 brat- fuses and wires get hot!

any electrical types out there?

why would the fuses and wires for the headlights [where the wires go into the fuseblock] get incedibaly hot when the headlights are on? fuseblock is cool unless lights are on- turn them on and the fuse for headlights gets real hot, does not blow, yet. got hot enough where the plug- in connector on the back has started to melt.

old wiring? so the resistance is too much? bad ground? fuse is the correct amperage and is tight in the connectors.

should i wire the headlights on a seperate new circuit?

im not an electrical genius, or any other kind, so any pointers?

thanks for any replies.

I had the same problem in my 78 Brat when I got it about a month ago. The wires on the back of the fuse box were melted. Someone before me had put a resistor on the wire to try and fix the problem. The fuse box was even melted! I solved this by going to the junk yard and getting another headlight switch and a new fuse box from another brat. Works fine now. I'm thinking that was the problem with my brat. Maybe yours too. Good luck!

This was a problem on all Gen 1/ Stage 2 cars. There was a recall back then to address this. They added in a new heavier fuse.

If you look at most Gen 1's fuse block wiring, you will find the plastic to be either melted somewhat, or REALLY melted.

Try pinching together the small cips that hold the fuse and reinsert it. Remember, resistance generates heat.

Todd