Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which wheel size?

I'm looking online for a new set of 15" wheels for my 92 Loyale. I'm a little confused as to what width to go with though. I don't want to have to modify my fender-wells. My choices are as follows, any advice?

15*5.5

15*6

I'm leaning towards the 15*5.5 because they're steel, and less expensive. Will those work?

One more question, how difficult is it to install a BYB lift kit onto a 92 Loyale? I haven't much experience with such. Thnx again.

Depends on what size tires you want to run. The general rule for off-road tires is to use the smallest width you can get away with to keep the wheel away from rocks, and promote a stronger seal with the bead on the tire.

Rubbing becomes an issue with certain tires - any wheel that is allowed by the size tire you choose will be fine in that respect, but as noted above, you want the narrowest rim allowed for the tire your are looking at.

As for installing a lift, it's not hard. You need basic hand tools, a jack, and a set of jack stands. A BFH comes in handy for beating the fender wells and a nice long breaker bar is nice for the stubborn bolts. Basic wrenches and sockets metric are a must for any undertaking such as this.

GD

Wheel size wont make you rub on anything. That's the tires that youll be putting on the wheels. Either one of those rims will be fine. Steel youll find it easier to get a shop to straighten them out if you dent one. Aluminum alloys are way lighter however and that is good too. The sizes are fine just pick one since they are so close in width.

The time it takes to install the lift will depend mostly on your skills as a mechanic and how rusty the vehicle is. Keep in mind this is a project and youll have to put the car up on stands. Set asside the time you think it will take YOU to do it.

Mine and others have taken considerably longer to install due to rust. Bolts are VERY hard to come out or break off and need to be extracted. Heads of bolts crumble away and round of. It is still fesable however and well worth the end result.

What drive train is in that Loyale? What tires were you thinking about going with?

I'm running 195/55/15's on my 93 Loy. This is a bit smaller tire than alot of people are using, but it works well for me. It's also an oddball size, which makes them harder to find and more expensive. I do a lot of long distance highway, and "around town" type driving. The 15's have some advantages, but they are not superior in every category. They are not as quick or get the MPG's that the 13's do.

Personally, I wouln't go any bigger than 205/55/15 (or a comporable size). This will give you some natural "lift", and still give decent performance.

good luck, John

What drive train is in that Loyale? What tires were you thinking about going with?

My loyal has a 5 spd manual with push-button 4wd. I'm not sure on tires yet though. My job pays peanuts so, i'm still saving my pennies for the lift/wheels/tires.