Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my RWD test

i have had a bad inner doj on the front for a few months now, and it was starting to bind up, and not move so much as it sould, so i took it out. only one. drove it around for 30 miles, and it seems like its more drag on the car. i was thinking it would be more effiscient. am i dreaming?

sliding around corners is fun!:grin:

You are turning more gears and such being in 4WD, so abit more drag is feasible. Drove my '82 around like that for a couple months, kinda liked it 'cept when trying to do a fast get out ahead of everyone pulling out of a gas station or simular place. Just a tad bit light on the rear for to much go pedal:burnout:

Im still looking for parts so my car has been in rear wheel drive. check out the tires marks i left on the road. i yanked the e-brake and let her rip the car jerked to the side and kept slowly pushing the front tires more some guy in his truck came behind me so i kept going then i let of the e-brake and took off came back later in my dads car and took some pics. wow talk about bad smelling smoke.

maybe I soundlike an idiot, but how do you just take out a front axle? isn't it kind of an important piece of holding the rotor/hub on? I've replaced the DOJ boot on one side, and the whole axle on the other, so you'd think I'd have a better idea of how it worked!

-chux

Well, In my case the axel actually broke into two, so it saved me the pain of having to loosen up the suspension to get the axel off. I got under there, drove the axle pin out, and pulled it, then drove it in 4WD. works great..least it did for me when I needed to. No noticicable difference in suspension. The front stub spins at the speed it needs to with no rsistance to the back wheels, so there's no binding effect. At least on my oprn diff.

maybe I soundlike an idiot, but how do you just take out a front axle? isn't it kind of an important piece of holding the rotor/hub on? I've replaced the DOJ boot on one side, and the whole axle on the other, so you'd think I'd have a better idea of how it worked!

-chux

You are right; it does hold stuff together. You need to leave the outer stub/cv sitting in there. The axles on these are assemblies that can be taken a part. I was just looking at Arch's this weekend and this outer CV is still in there flinging grease EVERYWHERE :lol:

ya, with a bigass hammer, give the outer part(with the nut on the end)a good wack, and it pops right iff.

man, i was on a gravel road today, and its squirley as hell! shor little hatch, almost spun it on a corner, sliding around =]

im pretty sure it drags more, my top speed is reduced, but it doesnt hop around or torque steer like front wheel drive.

thats not the only part on my car flinging grease =]

well my Brat with the JDM high compression motor and a Holley 5200 on it will light the tires up and roast them like its nothing. Everytime I roast them, it lights them up posi. I'll be getting some pics and some vids made of me roasting them off because I want to send a pic of it in to Sport Compact Car..... I've watched whole cars dissapear in a cloud of tire smoke:D:D:D