Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gripe 1.8 vs 2.7 power = $$$

Ohkay, gettin the Brat up and ready for the drive North for the show, no prob. One of the biggest things is that I didn't want to show it off with the lifter clickin, so I go for a pump seal, in the process I decide to do the T-belts. Woah!! I did the belts on the wifes car and it came out to less than 200 bucks for both belts and the tensioners, EVERYTHING!! I'm half expecting the same, as the 2.7 is virtually the 1.8 with two more cylinders, WRONG!! The belts are different to start with, the drivers side is 50 bucks ALONE!! And don't even thing about the tensioners, and idlers, the only place that had em was Subaru, and they wanted over 600 bucks for everything!!!! DANG. Of course this isn't the first time I've been hit with the price of more power, in putting in the motor I needed intake gaskets, and had to pay almost 3 times what a set for the EA81 costs. Lotsa stuff either you just can't get, or have to pay out the butt for. Hmm, oh well, the power to cash trade off hasn't hurt too much yet, I have way more power than I personally thing I've paid for thus yet. If I do have to shell out any huge bucks for it though, I'm thinking I might just go with a 3 liter, they still make those so I know parts are available. :brow:

Thats my little rant for the day, and remember, only one more shopping day till WCSS!!!

Just think.... at what point would you be in a position to have spent the same amount of money building a 140 HP EA81 using the RAM performance dual port heads?

Of course I know that the performance potential of the ER27 is much greater than 140 if you really want to build it up, but do you *need* more power than you have right now?

I'm very curious as to your thoughts on this - honesty - do you beleive the ER27 "experiment" was worth the investment? It's a good engine, to be sure, but rare, and expensive to maintain. Perhaps an EJ22 next time?

GD

ive only seen an ER27 in person once being in oz and all, and the first thing that hit me was how it was more like a hybrid EA -EJ engine externally (incl cam belt setup), i expected them to be prettymuch exactly an ea with 2 more cyls :/

even the fuel rail was completely different much more like an EJ. thats gotta be fun for replacment parts haha. at least ur in the states (i assume)