Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Outback -- Good deal???

Never owned/ridden in an Outback. I am going to look at a 96 OB, 117K, manual transmission, 1st asking price is $5000. Used car dealer has it. He got it from a wholesaler. Came out of Conneticutt. It is in Arkansas, Subarus are almost rare here (=cheap??)

Good deal?

What should I look out for in checking out this car?

The 96 outback with a 5 spd has the 2.2l engine with no head gasket issues (or any other I have found). I have a 96 5spd with 170k on it and it seems pretty bulletproof. I would probably pay 5k for another though! Mine has been the most reliable, cheapest car to maintain I have ever owned. All I have done are brakes, water pump, timing belt and CV joints. I bought mine at 84k for $8000, and that was about 3 yrs ago. hope this helps.

badjer

Never owned/ridden in an Outback. I am going to look at a 96 OB, 117K, manual transmission, 1st asking price is $5000. Used car dealer has it. He got it from a wholesaler. Came out of Conneticutt. It is in Arkansas, Subarus are almost rare here (=cheap??)

Good deal?

Get it!!

Best year of the 96-99 outback!!

96 + 5 spd manual = 2.2!!!

The 2.2 is a very good motor! No HQ issues, will go 300k easy!!!

:grin:

I thought all cars with the Outback moniker were 2.5's? Oh well, I've been wrong on a lot of Subaru stuff lately, maybe a sign I need to start reviewing?:-\

If it's a 2.2, then buy it with confidence. You will have one of Subaru's best engines ever.

96 was first year of the 2.5 but it was only in the Auto.

Be sure to check all the little things about the car: do the headlights and windshield wipers/washer fluid squirters work--things people don't typically try on a daytime test drive. Yep--try the heater out. Make sure all the power windows operate correctly, etc....

Before I ever buy another used car from a dealership (which, except for my last purchase, I've never had good experiences at dealerships and avoid them...) I would ask for a 24 hour test drive. My wife and I were looking at a used Volvo wagon. The dealer called me the next day and asked if I'd like to stop by and take the car home for the night and try it out. I got to drive this thing at night and on the interstate and in traffic and all the little scenarios that made me more comfortable with the decision to buy it. (I'm super impressed with Volvo products, by the way, as this was our first Volvo car.) So, ask to take it home for at least half a day.

One thing to keep in mind about a car's value is the interior. Engine and paint are obvious, but redoing an interior is sometimes more expensive than redoing a car's drivetrain. My '95 Legacy wagon was a sweeter deal because it has leather interior that is in really good shape.

I just bought a 95 Outback with 92K for $7000. Nice car. Needs some little things like dash bulbs fixed.

Good deal?

• 1 year later...

I know I started a similar thread about this, buuuut....

Get it!!

Best year of the 96-99 outback!!

96 + 5 spd manual = 2.2!!!

The 2.2 is a very good motor! No HQ issues, will go 300k easy!!!

:grin:

I know this is a great motor, but the one I looked at had lots of oil that appeared to be leaking from both the drivers side cylinder head and from both sides of the bottom of the timing belt case. Is this REALLY BAD like I think it is (don't wan't my timing belt stewwing in oil and grime) or is it normal for this "bulletproof" engine to leak like this?