Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR solenoid valve and AC fuse.

guys, its my first post!

got a 1990 subie loyale auto 4wd.

1. Check engine light has been comming on and off and now is on constantly, code on the o2 sensor light says '34' EGR solenoid valve.

question: where is this valve? can i replace it? any diagrams or help?

2. AC was working till last week, i tried to clear the above code and connected the test plugs near the firewall, now AC not working (compressor wont engage) is there a fuse for the AC unit? no fuse for ac listed in the fuse box.. any help?

thank you so much.

Hi Francis,

I think the valve is on top of the engine. You may have a loose connection to the solenoid.

I'm sure there is a fuse or breaker for the AC compressor somewhere. There may also be a relay under the dash and you possibly disconnected something else while under there. Also check the connection to the compressor if you haven't already.

I believe that solenoid is located right next to the thermostat housing.

should have a wire connector to it, and two vavuum lines.

The a/c fuse is located right next to the a/c relay which is located behind the passengers strut tower. Should be a fuze sticking straight up in a holder.

Hush

• 2 weeks later...

Larry,

Where is the sensor located? is it the one located near the thermostat with a black knob (looks like a knob) and some electric and vaccum connections to it?

let me know if you find a minute.

thanks,

Francis.

Fixed my with a $2.00 sensor from the yard. I took my multimeter to make sure the part was good, resistance check.

Later, Larry

Francis,

On my 89 EA82, I follow the radiator hose to the t-stat, then at a 45 towards the SPFI throttle body is the EGR solenoid valve. Its not the solenoid valve that is towards the firewall directly behind the t-stat although the two look suspiciously alike (rubber hoses, electric, and little black knobby thing).

EGR is exhaust gas recirculation which I think ports exhaust back to the intake to be re-burned, so check the hoses to make sure.

Mike

There's two relay-valves right there. One goes to the purge canister the other to the ERG valve. On mine Loyale, the bottom (a little lower) was the ERG relay-valve. one 10mm bolt holds it on. Disconnect the vac hoses and one elect. connector and your done.

Later, Larry

• 1 month later...

im jacking this post since its been dormant for some time now. here's my problem:

Skeet's attempt to fix his gas-guzzling loyale

currently gets: 16mpg

needs to get: anything higher than that, dammit

things that could use replacement:

spark plugs

exhaust (from cat back)

o2 sensor

bladdidy bladdidy blah

process:

replace and adjust things that need to be replaced and find what needs to be fixed by using the oh-so-precious ECU.

ECU pulled up code 34, egr solenoid. checked solenoid, works fine. analyzed this by bringing car to normal running temp, pulling throttle cable and watching the egr valve stem move at around 2k-3k rpm. completely fine working condition. car idles fine.

checked ECU again afterwards. same code. WTF?

question #1:

why does the ECU pull up code 34 if the egr works fine? what is the logic of this special little device?

Question #2:

the exhaust gas recirculation system doesnt seem to be the culprit in bringing the mpg down on the car. is there a way to get the ECU to spit out more codes than the egr, since it doesnt seem the egr is even broken?

Question #3:

WHY ME!?!?! (rhetorical)

Any possibility this was a California car? My Chilton's (blecchh!) says for Cali 90-94 SPFI Loyales that the "34" code could also mean a "clogged EGR line". Don't know if they mean the vacuum or exhaust tube.

And did you clear the ECU at some point?

I can't see the EGR killing mileage, unless ECU is going into some horrid "limp mode" but THAT seems unlikely since it would make no sense for a possible emissions feedback-signal failure would cause the ECU to go overly-rich.

RE: Q3) "Why me?" I wasn't available? (Sorry, what is, I wasn't available?):drunk:

Any possibility this was a California car? My Chilton's (blecchh!) says for Cali 90-94 SPFI Loyales that the "34" code could also mean a "clogged EGR line". Don't know if they mean the vacuum or exhaust tube.

And did you clear the ECU at some point?

I can't see the EGR killing mileage, unless ECU is going into some horrid "limp mode" but THAT seems unlikely since it would make no sense for a possible emissions feedback-signal failure would cause the ECU to go overly-rich.

tis not a car de california. the 'line' (whatever they mean by that) is fine and holds the necessary pressure for the egr valve to open and close as needed.

the ECU was cleared several times both ways (the battery way and the green plug way) and still pulled up the same code.

i found the EGR to not have any affect on mileage, but i dont know what needs replacing if that is the only code that shows up.

im not about to shell out 40-50 bucks to go get another out of a junkyard (considering i could find the non-carbed ea82 id need it from) just to clear a code, any other ideas?

RE: Q3) "Why me?" I wasn't available? (Sorry, what is, I wasn't available?):drunk:

.... huh?