Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear mount tire rack?

i am thinking about what to do with the full size spare on my 86 hatch.

right now its kicking it in the back but i would like its new home to be on the back.

anybody got a rear tire mount rack on their subaru?

i'm looking for pictures, and ideas on how i can make this happen!

thank you.

:)

people have done that with their lifted rigs since a the bigger tires they use won't fit in the regular spare tire spot. Now what's preventing you from placing your spare in the regular carrier? A regular fullsize spare should fit without any problems.

my full size spare is a 205/75r14:grin:

i would have to do alot of stuff under the hood i think to fit that baby!

i am thinking about what to do with the full size spare on my 86 hatch.

right now its kicking it in the back but i would like its new home to be on the back.

anybody got a rear tire mount rack on their subaru?

i'm looking for pictures, and ideas on how i can make this happen!

thank you.

A fella out of Australia, I believe, did one and had some pics under a thread titled lift is done (I think). His name was something like "clearwater". Maybe do a search for clearwater and find his pics??

Im gonna attempt one here in a month or so....but that doesnt help you much at this point....sorry;)

sounds good gravelrx pictures would help alot. the one you found is basicaly what im looking for. i am wondering about the hook up underneath. i would be very interested in how you work yours out.

i noticed clearwaters site and the rear tire rack. i sent him an email so hopefully he will get back to me. i like the way he mounted his tire but perhaps right in the center like the picture gravelrx has would enable me to use the tire for a bike rack!:brow:

also it appears that he made a new rear bumper for his this may be more fabricating than i want to get into. but i could account for a high lift with a new bumber.

about the TWE roof rack? where do you find such a thing? pictures are needed. and cost too.

and thanks Jibs i will try to get ahold of those guys and see about some pictures.

i know some folks out there have seen what im looking to do.

there is even one that has a gas tank mount. this one has a custom bumper too.

pwoens keep me up to date with your work i might not have anything worked out by then!

really want to see some pictures!!

thanks again

I was just talking to the guys at the Colo meet about this yesterday although I have a Brat. It would still work and apply to your hatch.

I try to explain if you were to look at the trailer hitch in the photo above or most trailer hitches anymore there square and the hitch will slide out

well i'm going to use that idea and put 2 sleves on ether side of the licensce plate and make them about 15" long it will be about 1" 1/2 ID square tubing

then then take some round tubig 1" 1/2 OD tubing so that the round tubing will slide in to the squre tubing

with a pipe bender bend two pieces of the round tubib in a (L) the bottom part of the (L) should be about 23" long you can cut the end off as needed but a good starting point

the (L) round tubing needs to slide in and out of the square tubing easily thats why the 1" 1/2 ID and the 1" 1/2 OD

when once you've done that you need to get the tire mount (for me I got mine off of an Isuzu trooper cuz mine are 6 lugs and thats what will work)

when mount it to the round tubing

so the whole idea is that when you need to open your tail gate or in your case hatch pull the pin and the carrier will slide out and still stay in the square tubing thats why the round tubing needs to be atleast 23" long

If i did a lousey job on explaining this maybe someone that does understand can help clean it up a little :)

Hassey

I was just talking to the guys at the Colo meet about this yesterday although I have a Brat. It would still work and apply to your hatch.

I try to explain if you were to look at the trailer hitch in the photo above or most trailer hitches anymore there square and the hitch will slide out

well i'm going to use that idea and put 2 sleves on ether side of the licensce plate and make them about 15" long it will be about 1" 1/2 ID square tubing

then then take some round tubig 1" 1/2 OD tubing so that the round tubing will slide in to the squre tubing

with a pipe bender bend two pieces of the round tubib in a (L) the bottom part of the (L) should be about 23" long you can cut the end off as needed but a good starting point

the (L) round tubing needs to slide in and out of the square tubing easily thats why the 1" 1/2 ID and the 1" 1/2 OD

when once you've done that you need to get the tire mount (for me I got mine off of an Isuzu trooper cuz mine are 6 lugs and thats what will work)

when mount it to the round tubing

so the whole idea is that when you need to open your tail gate or in your case hatch pull the pin and the carrier will slide out and still stay in the square tubing thats why the round tubing needs to be atleast 23" long

If i did a lousey job on explaining this maybe someone that does understand can help clean it up a little :)

Hassey

so are you going to use the trailer hitch where it is just divide it into two sleeves? and slide the new bumper in?

if so doesnt the hitch take away some ground clearance(approach angles)?

or are you talking about taking off the bumper and putting the hitch up in that area?

sounds like your going to make a bumper and then customize a rear tire rack mount to fit on it?

a picture of plans would help me. im a visual learner?

i like the idea of using a existing tire rack mount and converting it!

i really like the idea in the picture seems straight forward enough no custom bumper.

oh and lets see some picture i know you guys out there have these!:rolleyes:

and what about the roof racks too. just want to explore all the options.

peace

No custom bumper I'm using the same idea as the trailer hitch in the photo and will set under the bumper just like the one in the photo and the ones you see on the street except it will have two ports or sleves 1 on each side of the licence plate with 2 pipes bent in a L shape that will slide in the ports/sleves and you mount your tire carrier on them so it will slide out still remaining in the sleve/ port so you can open the hatch or tail gate don't have any photos cause it still in the making

Don't think about the bumper it plays no part in this idea and will stay right where it is you won't even touch it

think trailer hitch with two ports/sleves it will mount where the tow hooks are

Hassey

No custom bumper I'm using the same idea as the trailer hitch in the photo and will set under the bumper just like the one in the photo and the ones you see on the street except it will have two ports or sleves 1 on each side of the licence plate with 2 pipes bent in a L shape that will slide in the ports/sleves and you mount your tire carrier on them so it will slide out still remaining in the sleve/ port so you can open the hatch or tail gate don't have any photos cause it still in the making

Hassey

i dig cuz:cool:. heres my thoughts on that though dont you loose some of your ground clearance this way?

Here's some shots of MikeW's hatch with a rear carrier. he used a swingout one from a jeep or something, and mounted it to the side of his hach (above and below the tail light)

that sure is a pretty hatch! is mikew on usmb? i would like to see a close up of the bumper and the tire rack hardware. i was figuring on using an existing tire rack to save me time in fabrication. thanks alot for the pics!

like the idea of the shovel too!

yeah, he's a member here... Mike_W I think. doesn't come around too often, but stops in now and then.

that sure is a pretty hatch! is mikew on usmb? i would like to see a close up of the bumper and the tire rack hardware. i was figuring on using an existing tire rack to save me time in fabrication. thanks alot for the pics!

like the idea of the shovel too!

yeah, he's a member here... Mike_W I think. doesn't come around too often, but stops in now and then.

i dont think i want to go and put a hole in the side of the car. im thinking along the lines of low impact. something that hooks in under the car and swings out or falls down so i can get in the hatch easily. and i wont have this huge tire on my roof.

yes, he did have to do some re-inforcing inside the body cavities....

i dont think i want to go and put a hole in the side of the car. im thinking along the lines of low impact. something that hooks in under the car and swings out or falls down so i can get in the hatch easily. and i wont have this huge tire on my roof.