Ultimate Subaru Message Board

D/R swap question -- axle issues??

pwoens

I am getting ready to pull the D/R out of the 86 and put it into my 88 S/R. My question is this:

The 86 has rear drums. My 88 has rear discs. Will the rear axles from the 86 drum work on the 88 disc setup in the rear?? Will I need to do any modifications or will it simply fit?? I am thinking something wont work because, from what I gather, the spline count is different between these two rigs?? Forgive my ignorance as I havent even looks at the cars yet so its probably something I will figure out when I actually look at them:brow:

Any insight or experience in this??

From what Moosens (I think it was him, maybe Miles) told me was all the rear axles (turbo or not) are all the same. I know the part numbers on my 85 d/r ea82 wagon match the numbers on my 87 s/r ea82t wagon. the 87 has discs too, and the 85 has drums.

I hope that helps a little.

From what Moosens (I think it was him, maybe Miles) told me was all the rear axles (turbo or not) are all the same. I know the part numbers on my 85 d/r ea82 wagon match the numbers on my 87 s/r ea82t wagon. the 87 has discs too, and the 85 has drums.

I hope that helps a little.

Thats what I was looking for....I think I figured it out and am ready to tear into it this weekend. Thanks

If you're swapping the transmission only, it shouldn't matter. The driveshaft goes to the rear diff and you shouldn't need to do anything with the rear axles when changing transmissions. Spline count shouldn't matter unless you're going from a turbo to non/aspirated in which case it would get more complicated since the rear diff ratios are different.

Having done a few rear drum/disk swaps, the axles have always been the same and do not need to be changed either.

I am getting ready to pull the D/R out of the 86 and put it into my 88 S/R. My question is this:

The 86 has rear drums. My 88 has rear discs. Will the rear axles from the 86 drum work on the 88 disc setup in the rear?? Will I need to do any modifications or will it simply fit?? I am thinking something wont work because, from what I gather, the spline count is different between these two rigs?? Forgive my ignorance as I havent even looks at the cars yet so its probably something I will figure out when I actually look at them:brow:

Any insight or experience in this??

since your wagon is a gl-10, i assume its a turbo. if it is your gonna need to use the front axles out of the 86 (the n/a trannys use 23 spline shafts and the turbo trannys use 25 spline shafts) along with the rear diff since the ratios are differnt between the trannys. the rear axles wont need to be swaped. im doing the same swap into my 88 turbo wagon either this week or next.

Dylan

since your wagon is a gl-10, i assume its a turbo. Dylan
Dylan, being a GL-10 doesn't mean it's a turbo. GL-10 just referred to the top of the line interior package with the plush seats, fancier dash and sun-roof. However, you're correct in your comment that if it is a turbo, the inner joint of the axel will be a different spline count (25) and the rear diff will be a 3.700 instead of the 3.900 on the n/a cars.

Dylan, being a GL-10 doesn't mean it's a turbo. GL-10 just referred to the top of the line interior package with the plush seats, fancier dash and sun-roof..

Correct. I have had both turbo and NA GL-10s. However, something like 80% of the 85+ GL-10s were turbos, so its usually a safe guess when the info isn't given outright.

Dylan, being a GL-10 doesn't mean it's a turbo. GL-10 just referred to the top of the line interior package with the plush seats, fancier dash and sun-roof. However, you're correct in your comment that if it is a turbo, the inner joint of the axel will be a different spline count (25) and the rear diff will be a 3.700 instead of the 3.900 on the n/a cars.

well i learn something everyday, i thought all gl-10 were turbos. but on a side note he states it has rear discs, so i'm guessing it is a turbo.

Dylan

Good call, Dylan. The rear disks would indicate that it's a turbo. That does complicate things because now he'll need to move the diff and front axles as well. I don't know if the spline count on the rear (since he's moving the diff) is different on a turbo; I've never run into that before.

but on a side note he states it has rear discs, so i'm guessing it is a turbo.

Dylan

Ahhh...I stand corrected in my assumption as well, that all GL10's were turbos. Mine is a turbo. Therefore, I know for certain that I need the tranny, front axles, driveline, rear diff, and rear axles. Since the 86 parts car that I am pulling the D/R out of does not have rear discs, and the 88 that the D/R is going into has rear discs, there may be an issue.....that was my original question that I somehow fouled up in my original post.

Since everyone agrees that the inner axle spline count is different between the 86 NA and the 88 Turbo, here is the REAL question: will the rear axle outer spline count be different between an 86 N/A rear drum and an 88 turbo disc?

Thanks fellas!!

Patrick, we finally get to the real question. It's been an interesting, informative ride for me....and I don't have an answer. Another consideration; the lower rear end ratio of the turbo tranny and diff reflect the increased power of the turbo; how will you be feeling with the n/a engine and turbo drive train? It might be easier to find someone with a n/a d/r transmission and swap with him and not have all this hassle. However, DO move the rear disks to the n/a car...that's easy and well worth the effort.

I see you live in Spokane. It might also be quicker to get the answer you seek to go to the pull a part yard in town and drop a rear axle off of two cars and count the splines. I'd be surprised if anyone has done this swap before; I think you're the first to bring it up.

Since everyone agrees that the inner axle spline count is different between the 86 NA and the 88 Turbo, here is the REAL question: will the rear axle outer spline count be different between an 86 N/A rear drum and an 88 turbo disc?

Thanks fellas!!