well, now in addition to all the other problems, i have a dead fuel pump

so here is the tally

fuel pump $200

CV boot $250 at a shop

O2 sensor $100 at a shop

water pump $200 or so at a shop

state inspection $15

brake pads/rotors $200+

so thats almost a grand to be put into a car with 275k miles. I have reached the "screw this" point

so here is the tally

fuel pump $200

CV boot $250 at a shop

O2 sensor $100 at a shop

state inspection $15

brake pads/rotors $200+

so thats almost a grand to be put into a car with 275k miles. I have reached the "screw this" point

I don't want to sound like an rump roast but...

fuel pump - new generic - ~$90

CV Axle - ~$60

02 Sensor - ~$25

Water pump - ~$35

Brake pads/rotors - ~$60

If you did all the work yourself, with the help of everyone here...you'd have saved hundreds of dollars. All of this could have been done with a cheap 100 piece toolset and a couple of oddballs (big socket for the axle, etc.)

I don't want to sound like an rump roast but...

fuel pump - new generic - ~$90

CV Axle - ~$60

02 Sensor - ~$25

Water pump - ~$35

Brake pads/rotors - ~$60

If you did all the work yourself, with the help of everyone here...you'd have saved hundreds of dollars. All of this could have been done with a cheap 100 piece toolset and a couple of oddballs (big socket for the axle, etc.)

yeah, tools and parts are not the problem, time and ability are. i don't have time to be spending every evening trying to fix this thing, going from one known problem to the next. i already have the O2 sensor and the water pump but lack some of the tools to replace them. I almost tackled the water pump a couple weeks ago but got snagged when i couldn't get the crank pulley off. the O2 sensor is original and has now been made even harder to get out by the layer of CV joint grease that spewed out of the boot onto the cat effectively glueing it in place. and those are only the problems i know about. i also have a substantial rumble in the front suspension that i can't track down. my engine problem might be solved by the O2 sensor, but there could be a lot more wrong with it. In the last 2 months i've already replaced the left front suspension/axle as well as several ignition components. i also know that i have a slightly stripped thread in one of my spark plug holes which i cannot fix myself.

so basically, i'm not up to the hassle of fixing all this sh__, and i'm not willing to dump a grand on a car with that many miles.

yeah, tools and parts are not the problem, time and ability are. i don't have time to be spending every evening trying to fix this thing, going from one known problem to the next. i already have the O2 sensor and the water pump but lack some of the tools to replace them. I almost tackled the water pump a couple weeks ago but got snagged when i couldn't get the crank pulley off. the O2 sensor is original and has now been made even harder to get out by the layer of CV joint grease that spewed out of the boot onto the cat effectively glueing it in place. and those are only the problems i know about. i also have a substantial rumble in the front suspension that i can't track down. my engine problem might be solved by the O2 sensor, but there could be a lot more wrong with it. In the last 2 months i've already replaced the left front suspension/axle as well as several ignition components. i also know that i have a slightly stripped thread in one of my spark plug holes which i cannot fix myself.

so basically, i'm not up to the hassle of fixing all this sh__, and i'm not willing to dump a grand on a car with that many miles.

I hear you. I have gone through periods of absolutely hating my car. Particularly when I had the opportunity to drive a newer car for a couple of months...

In the 2.5 years of owning this car, I have done 3 axles, the 02 numerous times, timing belts twice, distributor, fuel pump, EGR solenoids, alternator a couple of times, water pump, power steering pump failed (yanked it).

On the other hand, the thing hauls me to work and back 100+ miles a day, gets 23 MPG, and will get up to 100 on the highway. The odometer broke 25,000 miles ago, the car was given to me for free as the 7th owner with 140,000 miles - now has close to 200,000.

I can feel your pain as far as the mechanical abilities go. I am not the worlds best mechanic, in fact calling myself a mechanic is an unjustice to anyone who has that ability that has ever picked up a wrench. But this little POS Subaru that I bought is rapidly changing my opinion of turning the wrenches. I have enjoyed the work that I have done to my Subaru. And I am looking forward to doing some of the more advanced mods that I have read about here on the board. And a couple hundred bucks will put your car back on the road. And that beats the hell out of a car payment.

By the way Walmart has a good selection of Stanley Tools (Mac low end) and they are really not that expensive.

SCOOBY MUST LIVE!!!

Shaun...DaGodfada:brow:

I feel your pain Roxtar. Since I bought my BRAT in February, I have replaced the fuel pump,

the vacuum advance unit on the disty,

both rear bearings,

front driver side axle,

front CV boot job,

secondary duty solenoid

seat,

I still have to

replace the oil pan and the valve cover gaskets.

replace almost the entire leaky exhaust system

track down a new scraping noise coming from the right front wheel area

So far I am buying parts from a PAP. I would love to get a hold of a parts car but I do have a place to store it.

This is the most work I have ever done in terms of wrenching. My past experience has been taking things apart and having no hope of getting them back together.

Keep that faith and keep on wrenching.

so here is the tally

fuel pump $200

CV boot $250 at a shop

O2 sensor $100 at a shop

state inspection $15

brake pads/rotors $200+

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm far from a mechanic as well. A simple timing belt change becomes a day in advanced physics class....that is until I've done it a couple of times. Good luck on whatever you end up doing. I have to change the brake pads and caliper on one of my XT6s. It's been sitting this way for weeks. Battery died while sitting and ECU started freaking out for some reason. Don't get me started on my nice list of things-to-do-did since I've owned it. :lol:

One reason I got it is so I can work on it and learn more about cars in general. I'm learning more by the day (mostly typing...I need to get my arse underneath the car more). Take care!

I have felt the same way....and once went ahead and bought a brand new Ranger...$350 a month truck payment plus full coverage insurance.....killed me..I paid $600 for my Loyale a year ago..I have replaced the left axle shaft twice...first one was bad...and just recently dumped about $350 in parts when I lost a cylinder..Still need to do the EGR sylinoid and some gaskets.When I add in my $5 a week for gas ...I get about 38 MPGs...It is much more cost effective to keep the Sub going. I figured it out to my operating expence for my car to be about 25 cents a day if even that much..I know he is going to need a clutch soon but the car got 184,000 miles out of the original..so it should be good for awhile once I change it.

My 88 GL wagon I had lost the fuel pump..I about died when I priced the new one..ended up getting one from a JY and it took me all of 10 minutes to put it in.

And new or newer doesnt always mean better..My 96 Taurus I had ended up with $4500 in repairs in a year ..true warrentee covered most of it but the down time on the car was terrible.

And I do 90% of the work on my cars myself and I make time for it..its worth it to me..I save a ton of money doing it that way.

Connie

92 Loyale Wagon (Bucky)..blah blah blah

maybe if i'd spent more intially i'd be more willing.

i paid $200

clutch+install $500

tune-ups/oil changes $100

tires $150

suspension/body repair $500

new wheel $40

air fresheners etc to get rid of the unholy funk it came with $25 + many hours

new belts $15

so i've already put more than 1300 bucks in a $200 purchase. adding another grand to that is just...................:banghead:

hey roxtar,

I have a love hate thing going with my Ru, I love it when it runs. My '89 mostly runs except when I try to fix something and end up making it worse- my preventative maintenance often ends up being more practice at repair work. This is ok since I punch a keyboard most of the day I don't consider myself qualified to repair the thing but it runs despite my gorilla methods.

Sounds like a lot of stuff broke at once. Makes for an easier decision...seems like about once a month my '89 (250k+) needs a 'shiny new part' like I tell my wife.

What's up with your spark plugs? Can you clean the threads with a thread chaser tool or is it beyond that? There are repair kits with helicoils that can be used (can't say I know how exactly) but I'm sure folks on this site have done it.

Whatever you do I hope it works out.

back from the dead? it started last night and i was able to drive it home.... maybe little scooby was just angry at me for all the miles i put on the clock last weekend.

I think your scooby was talkin to my scooby!!! :) The 13 year demons are starting!! You know the ones that possess your beloved car when it hits 13 years old. On my way to work at the Native American festival ( I happen to be an injun) here in my area of CT, the exhaust started to fall off. No signs or nothing this car was soo quiet as of yesterday.Waiting for it to cool off then I have to crawl under it and see if I can rig something up for now.