Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which is the better car??

Bucky92

I was wondering...which is the better Sub.. my 92 Loyale or a 96 Impreza wagon?? I found what seems like a good price on the Impreza but I adore my Loyale. My Sub has been super dependable ..even with the few normal problems it has and I just love the car. But I would die for a 4WD or AWD one.I cant afford 2 cars at the moment.I guess more of what I am asking...are the older Gen Subs better then the new ones?I know they are easier to work on. What Pros and Cons are there between the 2??

Opinions are greatly appreciated

given that the loyale is FWD, I'd say the impreza is. The newer ones are faster by default, though there are some exceptions, but probably not stock. I personally know that I would just get myself in trouble with power, so i prefer the D/R 4WD cars, capable in a different way.

But given your choice, I'd take the impreza

-Chux

Thanks guys for the input so far. I should have mentioned too that I like to keep my cars till there is nothing left of them.I heard that the 2.2L motor is a great motor.The price on the Impreza is $3200 havent checked the mileage on it or really looked it over.But my Loyale still runs like a champ too..I think it still has another 120,000 left in it:brow: ....want to kinda keep it till it has 300,000...but I think that price on the preza is pretty good.It was just the thought. As for the timing belts..I got almost 100,000 out of the set thats on Bucky right now (previous owner left all reciepts in glove)and with the snow treads I put on the front my FWD seems pretty darn good in the snow.But I dont think he will handle hauling a bike trailer when I get my new dirt bike this spring.

Its gonna come down to what kind of driving you plan on doing with the car. Long road trips and daily driving where you need a fast car, go with the impreza. My mom has a 2001 legacy, nice comfortable car for onroad use. Sucks in the dirt

If you like to take it offroad and rally the loyale is the way to go. I've trashed my car pretty hard for 6 years straight and its still living. original engine, clutch replaced once, 2 sets of timing belts. 140,000 miles and still running strong.

And if the engine goes, you can get a import motor from japan for 700 bucks. 20 to 30,000 miles on them. Takes just a few hours to put a new motor in.

For ~ 700 bucks you could probably convert that FWD to 4WD D/R. That will haul a trailer with a dirt bike on it no problem.

3200 for the impreza kinda makes me wonder whats been done to it. reconstructed vehicle?