Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flywheel with no marks on it

I'm trying to do the t belts on an ea82t with no marks at all on the flywheel. I've searched and from what i've read the keyhole on the crank is in line with the tdc marks for doing the belts. Is this correct? Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

yeah i know what's what and where to look. The flywheel has no marks period.

I just did the t belts using the keyhole on the crank as the center instead of the 3 hash marks, that aren't there, no i don't know why either. Works great. Thanks for the post anyhow. :)

For those who want to know

the belts are NOT set at TDC

but at a point where all four (4) pistons are

at their half way travel in the bore

read - all pistons sitting at the same level in the cylinders.

kind of ingenious if you think about it

It's odd there's no marks but I have got the t belts on. The keyway for the two t belt sprockets matches up to where the three hash marks are on the flywheel on my car. So with this and the info from a earlier thread i did the belts. The car runs but i think it has bigger problems[see overheat post]. I feel bad for Dan we just finished doing the 5spd dr swap. Now this. :banghead:

In the first post i said timing marks, i think or top dead center, what i meant was the belt timing marks. Flywheel has niether.

Thanks for all reply's :)

Wrong. XT has an EA82 engine with all the trimmings. XT6 (ER27) is an expanded EA82, with all the trimmings too.

Ok. just thought maybe that was a possibility given that the spyder manifld XTs didn't have a visible access hole.. And had the timing marks on the crank pulley.

Ok. just thought maybe that was a possibility given that the spyder manifld XTs didn't have a visible access hole.. And had the timing marks on the crank pulley.

OK, in that case, I could be mistaken. My XT/XT6 factory service manual (for MY 88) didn't mention this engine version.