Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Front strut question???

I put new front struts on my '84 Wagon and I noticed that they have these two threded ends with nuts on each side that looks to be a way of raising the front end. Does anyone know if it is and if not what there used for?? Thanks!

yes, those are the adjusters. you can raise the front end up about an inch that way. though you will encounter more stress on the axle joints with it up all the way....

yes, those are the adjusters. you can raise the front end up about an inch that way. though you will encounter more stress on the axle joints with it up all the way....

So what exactly are there purpose.... an example in which a person would have to adjust them.... would it be in assisting with lining the front end up or what? Just trying to figure out as to why Subaru put them there. Thanks!!

So what exactly are there purpose.... an example in which a person would have to adjust them.... would it be in assisting with lining the front end up or what? Just trying to figure out as to why Subaru put them there. Thanks!!

more ground clearance.

i cranked mine half way up and have put about 5k miles on them that way, i did eat up a couple axles this year, but not sure if thats what did it.

The thing is I don't run it on the road except to get back and forth to the mud holes... thats the only road use it gets. Not many miles at all are put on but I guess off road use is twice as hard on it as on.

Clock the T bar??? Not sure what you mean. Also does cranking up the rear have a negative affect like the front??
Last question first: All changes from stock are a compromise, so yes, there are negative effects to raising the rear. But how negative is a personal thing.

Clocking refers to being able to position the suspension arms to a different position on the torsion bar (or the t-bar to its center mount. I forget) ... IIRC the bar is splined somewheres, either at the ends or the middle. So you can get larger effects of lift or lowereing then the adjuster bolt alone could give you.