Ultimate Subaru Message Board

having problems which sucks

k this is for my 83 GL wagon with the EA-81 and hitasucky 2bbl carb

Well it all started a few weeks ago the engine would idle at 1500-2000 rpm and I went through a 3/4 tank of gas in less than 70 miles, well I tried spraying the crap out of the carb and also doing a "$1.45 tuneup" (basicaly reving it up and then covering the carbs mouth till it dies down to almost dying).

both with no luck

next tried to adjust the throttle cable with no luck

today put carb from spare motor on (motor came from a 83 GL wagon 4wd auto) and it was running a little rough at first with alot of smoke spewing out but cleared up and after a lil bit of spraying and the tuneup method mentioned up above it idled alright but notice the choke plate was closed same with the other carb and did a vold meter check and got 4-5 volts going to the choke element and oh yeah it ran wonderfuly but rev it then let it go back to idle it would rev at 1500 rpm again but blurp the gas and would go back to idle

about 1/2 mile from home it kept dying instead of idling so kept the pedal alive till I got to the gas station and adjusted the idle screw till it idled at about 800 rpm or so

went to drive it up to brads (subie_styles) new place and ran good on the freeway but after getting off the freeway at idle it would run at normal idle, 1500, 2000, or 2500 rpm and sometimes if I blurped the gas it would go back to normal idle

well now it's back to the same ol 1500-2000 rpm

I am gettin pissed at this

anyone know what the heck is going on? I am about to ask Ed to ship down that Weber and rebuilding it then semi desmoging the motor and putting it on if the answer is going to be anything involving the carb at all

and if I do what is the average or optimal jetting's for the Weber 32/36 DGV carb for going onto a EA-81

oh yeah also forgot if I get it to idle decently it bounces around the RPM from 600-1200 rpm approx

... but notice the choke plate was closed same with the other carb and did a vold meter check and got 4-5 volts going to the choke element...
OK... I am tired and thinking produces a cottony feeling and some pain. But...

...unless I read your post wrong you already know that your choke is sticking partially/fully closed. Kind of explains the gas usage, high idle, stuff like that.

So, how about dealing with the choke problem? If you are reading low voltage to the choke, what happens if you run battery voltage to it and bypass its wiring? Haven't checked the wiring diagram, but might be a relay or some bad connection along the line causing you grief. Or just prop the choke plate open for a bit and see how it runs.

Discount today, only $0.01

vold meter check and got 4-5 volts going to the choke element

First off--The choke element should be at 12V or so--I've cut the old wire at the connector before & ran a new wire to the positive side of the coil--not a problem one after--This worked on both my '85 hatch & '84 GL Wagon--they both had the same prob at one time or another---

Dean

yeah just talked to Hondasucks about that and I will try doing that in the mornin if that isn't the case Ed will get a email saying send down that Weber cause of I am tired of the Hitasucky crap and would like a nice simple carb to work on that will work better

oh yeah also when running and in that state I push open the choke plate and it revs higher which is wierd on it's own

... oh yeah also when running and in that state I push open the choke plate and it revs higher which is wierd on it's own
Not totally, as the choke plate being forced open probably does not effect the fast idle linkage... the choke mechanism would move both, both the plate has to be able to open independently if airflow increases.

So, mixture improves, but fast idle cam still holding throttle open.

VVRROOMM!!!

I would have to agree with Northwet on his thinking about the fast idle linking causing it to rev when the choke is opened manually.

This issue with the hitachi carbs is not a new one, so I go to thinking about alternatives. Since it is possible to put a webber 32/36 on the manifold, could it not also be possible to put a small tbi unit on it? One with the same mounting dimensions as the weber?

Just an idea.

Edit:

After a quick search, it looks as though the ea81 fuel injection idea is already solved with ea82 spfi conversion....note to self, search first, comment second.

MatrixOps

matrixops that is a good idea for the EA-71 and my EA-65 (in the 76) cause they are the same mounting dimensions as the EA-81 so might keep that in mind if you want to search for one that would work :)

but yeah I will try rewireing the setup tomorrow with the leads for the antidiesel and choke together like I had it on my bug in fact lol