Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help me with my B.O.V.

i just got my intercooler and bov installed they are off a 02 wrx and my car is a 87 gl-10. it all works great if your acelerating or decelerating. but if your trying to just cruz the bov opens up and the car loses power and starts jerking. pleese help cuz it sucks.

on another note the power the intercooler added was awsome hills that i used to have to shift down for i can acelerate up now. also there is a strecth of road that i always see how fast i can get before the rr tracks. top speed used to be 65 with the intercooler i hit 75 could of problly hit 80 to 85 but cuz of the corner on the stretch of road i got scared and backed off. but dang it is awsome

yes i know it is the bov you can hear it quite clearly. i was looking though some old post and someone was talking about shimming the sping. will that solve the problem and if so how do i do it.

pleese bear with me i'm still learning alot about turbos and thier componts

what brand of BOV is it? if it's a aftermarket piece then there should be an adjustment screw on it to tighten the screw so it doesn't open up unless there is a major vac signal saying "hey he just dropped the throttle you should open up" but is getting that signal early cause of the screw is not tightened properly

I've got a bov on my car, it will vent at idle, slightly, it'll pulse, open close, open close, but, normaly its ok at cruise speed. Sometimes if i get it just right i can hold the throttle right at the edge of boost, mabey slightly into boost, and on a backpeddal stroke, not under acceleration, it will start blowing air, you'll hear a constant hiss of air, and it'll start to kill the car. But normal cruising it's just fine. I'd check for a vacuum leak that would make it open funny, or you should try and tap a diffrent vacuum source.

what brand of BOV is it? if it's a aftermarket piece then there should be an adjustment screw on it to tighten the screw so it doesn't open up unless there is a major vac signal saying "hey he just dropped the throttle you should open up" but is getting that signal early cause of the screw is not tightened properly

it is the stock one off an 02 wrx

well if it's the stock Recirculating Valve (that is the exact name for this type of BOV cause it doesn't "Blow Off" but instead recirulates the air back into the system) might plumb the other end of the hose that comes off that RV and put it before the turbo so it doesn't screw up the MAF sensors working so it might not bog down as you have said and as Danbob has said might tap into a different vac source cause you might be gettin too much vac into the RV

I ran with atmospheric venting with an audi recirc valve and it would leak and hiss, the car ran like crap. Immediatley after plumbing it in front of the turbo all mid cuise and backing off the throttle type problems disapeared. My vac signal comes off the intake on that little nipple behind the throttle body.